Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New "cure" from uk and Poland. Been posted yet

This is the new publication:

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten..._Tabakow_et_al

Abstract: Treatment of patients sustaining a complete spinal cord injury remains an unsolved clinical problem because of the lack of spontaneous regeneration of injured central axons. A 38-year-old man sustained traumatic transection of the thoracic spinal cord at upper vertebral level Th9. At 21 months after injury the patient presented symptoms of a clinically complete spinal cord injury (American Spinal Injury Association class A-ASIA A). One of the patient's olfactory bulbs was removed and used to derive a culture containing olfactory ensheathing cells and olfactory nerve fibroblasts. Following resection of the glial scar the cultured cells were transplanted into the spinal cord stumps above and below the injury, and the 8 mm gap bridged by 4 strips of autologous sural nerve. The patient underwent an intense pre- and post-operative neurorehabilitation program. No adverse effects were seen at 19 months postoperatively, and unexpectedly, the removal of the olfactory bulb did not lead to persistent unilateral anosmia. The patient improved from ASIA A to ASIA C. There was improved trunk stability, partial recovery of the voluntary movements of the lower extremities, and an increase of the muscle mass in the left thigh, as well as partial recovery of superficial and deep sensation. There was also some indication of improved visceral sensation and improved vascular autoregulation in the left lower limb. The pattern of recovery suggests functional regeneration of both efferent and afferent long-distance fibers. Imaging confirmed that the grafts had bridged the left side of the spinal cord, where the majority of the nerve grafts were implanted, and neurophysiological examinations confirmed the restitution of the integrity of the corticospinal tracts and the voluntary character of recorded muscle contractions. To our knowledge, this is the first clinical indication of beneficial effects of transplanted autologous bulbar cells.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

This was the old one:

Abstract: Numerous studies in animals have shown the unique property of olfactory ensheathing cells to stimulate regeneration of lesioned axons in the spinal cord. In a Phase I clinical trial, we assessed the safety and feasibility of transplantation of autologous mucosal olfactory ensheathing cells and olfactory nerve fibroblasts in patients with complete spinal cord injury. Six patients with chronic thoracic paraplegia (American Spinal Injury Association class A-ASIA A) were enrolled for the study. Three patients were operated, and three served as a control group. The trial protocol consisted of pre- and postoperative neurorehabilitation, olfactory mucosal biopsy, culture of olfactory ensheathing cells, and intraspinal cell grafting. Patient's clinical state was evaluated by clinical, neurophysiological, and radiological tests. There were no adverse findings related to olfactory mucosa biopsy or transplantation of olfactory ensheathing cells at 1 year after surgery. There was no evidence of neurological deterioration, neuropathic pain, neuroinfection, or tumorigenesis. In one cell-grafted patient, an asymptomatic syringomyelia was observed. Neurological improvement was observed only in transplant recipients. The first two operated patients improved from ASIA A to ASIA C and ASIA B. Diffusion tensor imaging showed restitution of continuity of some white matter tracts throughout the focus of spinal cord injury in these patients. The third operated patient, although remaining ASIA A, showed improved motor and sensory function of the first spinal cords segments below the level of injury. Neurophysiological examinations showed improvement in spinal cord transmission and activity of lower extremity muscles in surgically treated patients but not in patients receiving only neurorehabilitation. Observations at 1 year indicate that the obtaining, culture, and intraspinal transplantation of autologous olfactory ensheathing cells were safe and feasible. The significance of the neurological improvement in the transplant recipients and the extent to which the cell transplants contributed to it will require larger numbers of patients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24007776
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Hi all, it is my knowledge that at least one patient being involved in OEC grafts experienced problems with cells sprouting around the spinal cord and compressing the spinal cord..
    Am I correrct ??..
    Thanks
    G78

wait a minute, wasn't there a person in Poland about 6 months ago to ended upfinding a tumor in her back from of surgery she had 2 years ago transplanting olfactory cells?

Edit: yup. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0708091121.htm
    Last edited by PC720; 10-21-2014 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC720 View Post
    wait a minute, wasn't there a person in Poland about 6 months ago to ended upfinding a tumor in her back from of surgery she had 2 years ago transplanting olfactory cells?

Edit: yup. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0708091121.htm
    That was Portugal you ignorant american!
    Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.

I'm not impressed. At no time can he stand on his own with any balance (look at him grip that wood near the end). In fact, watch closely .. he is using hip movement to move his legs not unlike brace walking .. even cycling while laying down he uses his body weight.

Not buying into it.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Paralysed man walks again - cure for paralysis possible

http://www.virgin.com/richard-branso...lysis-possible

Delighted to share the incredible news that Darek Fidyka, a paralysed man, has been able to walk again. This gives hope that a possible cure for paralysis could be developed.

Image from BBC Pamorama/nsif
    This historic medical breakthrough was funded by the Nicholls Spinal Injury Foundation (nsif), which I am a proud patron of. Darek underwent therapy in Poland that involved transplanting cells from his nasal cavity into his spinal cord.
    After being paralysed from the chest down in a knife attack in 2010, Darek thought he would never walk again.
    Now, after 15 months with no movement, he can walk unaided with sticks and has described it as ?an incredible feeling?.

Prof Geoff Raisman, leader of the research team and chair of neural regeneration at University College London's Institute of Neurology, said the success was "more impressive than man walking on the moon".
    Nsif and the UK Stem Cell Foundation supported the research, giving ?1.24m to fund work in London and Poland.
    Nsif is a very small charity founded by David Nicholls after his son suffered a tragic accident. I came on board as a patron after coming across their tremendous work supporting pioneering research.

For more information on the breakthrough, read the details in the journal Cell Transplantation and watch Panorama tonight on BBC One at 22.35 GMT.
    Congratulations to everyone involved in this breakthrough, which gives hope to the three million paralysed people around the world, and future generations striving to achieve incredible dreams. Nothing is impossible. If you ever think something can't be done, just remember this remarkable story.

As a T6 complete injury I would be overjoyed to be able to stand long enough to pull up my own trousers; to make transfers easier; to have better circulation and muscle mass preventing debilitating pressure sores....and don't even get me started on B/B/S!!

I know now it's early but Raisman has been studying OEC's for some time, and Mr El Masri who makes comment has only just finished as the long term director of the Midlands Centre For SCI in the UK - neither of these men are snake oil salesmen and that in itself gives me hope.....it may still be a few years away, but the promise of it being almost visible over the distant horizon may be the hope that those thinking of giving up desperately need.

i live my life to the best of my current ability, and keep myself as healthy and as fit as possible.....just in case����

For those of you in the UK or for those who can view BBC Iplayer from outside the UK (usinga VPN/proxy for example) there will be a 60 minute tv piece on this tonight at 22.35 UK time.

In a world exclusive, Panorama tells the story of a paralysed man who is able to walk again after a pioneering transplant using the regenerative cells that repair and renew our sense of smell.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04mm8zl