Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: New "cure" from uk and Poland. Been posted yet

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    So there is more than the 'walking' in the news segment, eh? I guess I gotta see that some time.

Speaking of hype, the neighbor across the alley was excited to tell me today about that Polish Miracle Man she saw on some show recently. I was thinking about this thread and imagined where was the real-life 'face-palm' icon, lol. Yep, public sure is getting mislead
    Right!? Everyone I know keeps telling me about this. Seems like I hear more of this than the epi stim from Louisville. Seems a bit strange to me considering this happened in Poland and the Epi Stim was right here in America.

Grammy - Please explain -
    what is importance of free access paper and Dr. G. Raisman's invitation to use & develop their procedure by others?
    Would this "Free access" accelerate anything?
    Why other teams & researchers not doing the same thing?

I think tweez got media hype point correct.

Unrelated to this topic - Did anyone find any promising work on reversing spinal cord shock with incomplete SCI?
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I don't see the publicity as a bad thing, anything that gets SCI in the public eye is a good thing, and this program seemed pretty well balanced. It is general TV after all. It's a step in the right direction, and they need funding and they are publishing all their data and information in a responsible manner, even if phase 2 and phase 3 turn out to be a blind alley, it is another alley that has been tried. While a the same time keeping SCI in the public consciousness.

I wonder what happens to us that have crushed cords and a bunch of metal holding our spine together. Will they chop out the crushed part and regrow between where the spinal cord is in good shape. I know, no real answer.

I still think the TV show was pretty awesome.

[QUOTE=comad;1750422]Grammy - Please explain -
    what is importance of free access paper and Dr. G. Raisman's invitation to use & develop their procedure by others?
    Would this "Free access" accelerate anything?
    Why other teams & researchers not doing the same thing?[QUOTE]

Free access isn't available too often (or at least not as often as we'd like) in neuroregeneration. It allows for everyone to access the paper rather than just those with paid subscriptions to the journal "Cell Transplantation". Most institutions and people working directly in the field have access but not the general public. With the media coverage being world wide on this particular case, it's wonderful that everyone could read the paper for themselves to formulate questions and opinions on what was included in the paper. I'm not sure if the "free access" would accelerate anything, but it surely gives a birds eye view on why the press covered it.
    Dr. Raisman has worked for years in this field but this paper and human case picks up from the Dr. Almudena Ramon-Cueto's lab work and paper from 14 years ago. Dr. Raisman is taking no patents on the work and hopes that the work continues toward a therapy that will be taken to bedside in the future for other patients. There has been additional work in the area of PNG for SCI and if anything, this media coverage may accelerate the interest and perhaps fine tune additional therapies that will be tried in other labs in order to bring a widespread therapy about for SCI.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    Right!? Everyone I know keeps telling me about this. Seems like I hear more of this than the epi stim from Louisville. Seems a bit strange to me considering this happened in Poland and the Epi Stim was right here in America.
    When the first paper come out about Rob Summers I had more people telling me about it than this. Perhaps there wasn't much happening in the world to report in the evening news so it was on all channels news.

I would consider this news about OECs more a UK news since what happened in Poland has been guided and funded by people from UK, so the BBC got involved and that makes the news go around the world in few minutes.

Which of the two news diserved more attention?
    If we agree that "regeneration is the cure" as Kate said in this post I would say that the OECs news is more relevant to cure SCI, therefore deserved more attention.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Yeah this is great, another example of how a lot of discoveries might be found within our own bodies. Nasal Cells?...that is weird, but maybe it really is that simple?
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

This is one patient. It is interesting. It is not a cure. The functional improvements are not at a point where one might consider to be "useful" for acts of daily living. The patient improved from AIS A to C. There is partial recovery of voluntary function, some improvement in deep and superficial sensations. The paper has been accepted by Cell Transplantation but not yet published. I attach the manuscript for those who might want to read about the details. Wise.

It's just too bad we don't have the resources of the Miami Project, RHI and use the Reeve Idea to develop/rehab with the OEG's with Raisman's attitude. LOL I'm more excited by Silver's work than this OEG stuff ... but it's nice after 12yrs on this site to have some irons in the fire - not complaining!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

This is an OEC + epidural stimulation + Quipazine (pharmaceutical) and rehabilitation study funded by the NIH that I posted back in March here.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1725600

The new Dr. Raisman published study is not a follow-up of any of the previous trial participants done before. Darek Fidyka is a unique case-report. The OECs used for his transplant were not derived from his nose but from one of his olfactory bulbs in the forebrain. Glial scar was surgically removed and a nerve graft was utilized.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 10-27-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    This is one patient. It is interesting. It is not a cure. The functional improvements are not at a point where one might consider to be "useful" for acts of daily living. The patient improved from AIS A to C. There is partial recovery of voluntary function, some improvement in deep and superficial sensations. The paper has been accepted by Cell Transplantation but not yet published. I attach the manuscript for those who might want to read about the details. Wise.
    Wise,

what is your opinion about the other three patients published in 2013?

I attach a pdf for those who might want to read about the details.

Paolo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming