Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: New "cure" from uk and Poland. Been posted yet

Quote Originally Posted by marvin_cr View Post
    Page 25 of 70 of Report
    "After surgery the patient reported he had regained the ability to obtain and maintain erection without the need for pharmacological support."

I have just watched the BBC programme on this patient. The walking is not impressive by the standards of the able-bodied but those are not the standards that should be applied to someone with a chronic spinal cord injury. Muscle contractions in his legs, initiated by his own brain, are evident and if that was me I would not hesitate to call it a massive breakthrough. This is going to be a long, slow recovery requiring a lot of patient effort. He has already been doing five hours of exercise a day, five days a week for many months to get to the stage he is at.
    The images of the spinal cord before surgery show a small part of the dura-mater/meninges intact on one side of the cord and a complete and significant sized gap in the nerve tissue of the spinal cord.The MRI images five months post surgery show a very different and much improved picture. The movement and sensation that he is getting back cannot be dismissed as unrelated to the visible changes in his spinal cord.
    So far this is a study of years of experiments on rats and now one human patient. We should rightly be hesitant about predicting how results from one patient will work in a larger trial. However, things look good at the moment and the longest journey starts with a single step, even if it is a step only made possible with a walking frame and leg braces.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvio GS View Post

Saying you're a complete T9 para and you get some bbs back plus some leg sensation and you're once again able to stand and walk with or without braces, would this not make you happy?
    Yes, certainly. Its just that it appears that hes not actually walking but rather using his hips and momentum to swing his legs forward while they are locked at the knee by braces. So considering that they call this walking, its hard to take anything else they have said serious. Also, this patient may have been an incomplete injury (I know it said his cord was transected but it appears that it was only partially). Maybe I am completely wrong, I hope that I am. Its just my observation from the video only.

BTW, Im only saying that I am skeptical. Not that it should be ignored.

This Olfactory cell procedure was one of the first pioneered experimental approaches done by the Lisbon or Portugal Dr. that had little or no effect in the mad scramble by patients in the beginning wake of the ''cell'' boom. Perhaps he has added or engineered factors unequated from the 1st rudementary experiments. Other than that why would or is this correctly restoring all losses...
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

I really haven't read much into this except the article in the original post. It said sensation in his lower body returned, to a certain extent. That cannot be due to regeneration. It's too neat and too perfect. Regenerating axons are erratic and would never make it to his brain. OEC cells do remyelinate. That and therapy strengthening connections seem to be the mechanisms at play. I also don't think his cord was 100% severed.

I'm not a big fan of nerve grafting or putting cells into the spinal cord that aren't spinal cord cells in attempt to get regeneration. I think it's been tried in animals for 2 decades with no luck. But again, I think the treatment, if found responsible for the patient's gains, is awakening intact axons. I think that is highly important. Maybe the most important because the highly complex circuitry remains. Reawakening those axons will probably be the only biological way a SCI would ever regain pre-injury like functions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    I really haven't read much into this except the article in the original post. It said sensation in his lower body returned, to a certain extent. That cannot be due to regeneration. It's too neat and too perfect. Regenerating axons are erratic and would never make it to his brain. OEC cells do remyelinate. That and therapy strengthening connections seem to be the mechanisms at play. I also don't think his cord was 100% severed.

I'm not a big fan of nerve grafting or putting cells into the spinal cord that aren't spinal cord cells in attempt to get regeneration. I think it's been tried in animals for 2 decades with no luck. But again, I think the treatment, if found responsible for the patient's gains, is awakening intact axons. I think that is highly important. Maybe the most important because the highly complex circuitry remains. Reawakening those axons will probably be the only biological way a SCI would ever regain pre-injury like functions.
    I posted the full published scientific paper link to Cell Transplantation here in this blog post along with the abstract and links to the articles. It's a pretty quick read along some interesting pieces here and there...

http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy...ll-transplant/

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    I posted the full published scientific paper link to Cell Transplantation here in this blog post along with the abstract and links to the articles. It's a pretty quick read along some interesting pieces here and there...

http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy...ll-transplant/

I will have to read it tomorrow. btw, your blog is hands down the best source for SCI research news! I urge everyone on this board to follow it.

Sounds like the typical over-hyped "cure" stuff that's been around for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    I will have to read it tomorrow. btw, your blog is hands down the best source for SCI research news! I urge everyone on this board to follow it.
    Thank you so much for your kind words about my blog site. I try to stay on top of the recent research news and make the location handy for anyone wanting to look around and learn about SCI research by watching video links and reading articles. I appreciate your nice comment.