Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: New "cure" from uk and Poland. Been posted yet

Quote Originally Posted by Silvio GS View Post

Saying you're a complete T9 para and you get some bbs back plus some leg sensation and you're once again able to stand and walk with or without braces, would this not make you happy?
    It sure would make me happy!

I too have healthy skepticism. Mostly because I don't want to get my hopes up yet again. Let's remember that the media will always misrepresent these things and will always miss the point.
    We can poke all the holes in the research we want. But I really don't want to see the scientific community descend into a pissing match about who got there first.
    Last edited by Them Bones; 10-22-2014 at 05:49 AM.

The spinal injuries British Columbia article is in itself misleading - they clearly don't know Geoffrey Raisman as I do. I do not believe he would use the word breakthrough unless he were sure it was and he didn't treat me in any way patronizingly but rather as a complete equal in spite of his being able bodied and far superior intellectually. This is just my subjective opinion as is their's. They sound a little anti cure to me, nothing wrong with that if that's their angle.

In 32 years I have grown use not to getting too excited by research but this to me 'smells' different. I also thought the epidural nerve stimulating experiments are significant too.

I don't think a big rich organization should pick this up because they will try to manipulate it for themselves. I think Raisman's idea is that the information is free for all so as to advance things quicker.

I think I will keep away from Carecure as I usually do because a lot of what is written here just rubs me up the wrong way. Spinal injury is a very emotive subject.

I've seen the news on different channels an watched the BBC program about it and in my opinion this is what we've been waiting for, and not just another sensational "discovery " which mess up our heads for nothing. The people doing this seemed to be genuine, honest researchers and not like just doing it to fund-raise money, or less, scam people.This is ok now to get all sort of skeptic and negative comments. Some may even be jealous for them not being the first to come with the big news...This is not a race and it's not about who's the first, it's about getting there. I'd say that now even more researchers can, not call off the other approaches, but collaborate and helping improve this new approach, because I'm sure there's more to do at this early stage.
    That's just my opinion..

Grammy, How can we best monitor this?

Perhaps the rich Mr. Branson will fund it: http://www.virgin.com/richard-branso...lysis-possible

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    The spinal injuries British Columbia article is in itself misleading - they clearly don't know Geoffrey Raisman as I do. I do not believe he would use the word breakthrough unless he were sure it was and he didn't treat me in any way patronizingly but rather as a complete equal in spite of his being able bodied and far superior intellectually. This is just my subjective opinion as is their's. They sound a little anti cure to me, nothing wrong with that if that's their angle.

In 32 years I have grown use not to getting too excited by research but this to me 'smells' different. I also thought the epidural nerve stimulating experiments are significant too.

I don't think a big rich organization should pick this up because they will try to manipulate it for themselves. I think Raisman's idea is that the information is free for all so as to advance things quicker.

I think I will keep away from Carecure as I usually do because a lot of what is written here just rubs me up the wrong way. Spinal injury is a very emotive subject.

Page 25 of 70 of Report
    "After surgery the patient reported he had regained the ability to obtain and maintain erection without the need for pharmacological support."
    Last edited by marvin_cr; 10-22-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: misspell

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    I've been in a wheelchair for 32 years. I first wrote to Geoffrey Raisman back in 1984 and met him in 1988 for the first time. We became quite good friends and I can say that he is a very nice guy. I always had faith in him even when some people said he was going on the wrong track. He always believed in a cure since in 1969 he used the first electron microscope and proposed the theory of neural plasticity. Then he suggested a cure could be induced because nerves are constantly reconnecting naturally.

Anyway, it's probably too late for me but I am very excited and I think it's wonderful that millions of people someday might not have to go through all the bullshit that I have had to in my life. But I know what Geoff would say 'you don't know it's too late.'

Oh yeah, and as a patriotic Englishman I have to say 'Rule Britannia' - England can still lead the world in technology - spending the most money isn't always the answer. (Just being cheeky - post all the anti English hate replies you like!!)!

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29645760
    I have met Geoffrey Raisman too and I agree with what you say.

Probably the media as usual have hyped the news, but the publication is open access and easy to read, so people who just read the news and feel misleaded or keep asking questions for which answers are easily available are just guilty of lazines.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Blog Entries
    Ok, hype is over.
    Depression, come on back and do your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by fightingtowalkc7 View Post
    Grammy, How can we best monitor this?
    The simple answer is to follow my blog posts in the future. I'll stay on top of any future developments as this methodology unfolds in the coming years.

From a mile high view point, there's several points to remember in the grand scheme of things happening here that I personally take away. This is report of a chronic case that now gives focus and attention on the PNG grafting strategy as being highly worthwhile for attempting recovery of function from paralysis.

1. They are talking about running an additional human trial (10 more people) for gathering more data and validating this particular proof of concept method. We need it. The team will continue working with "OEC" and monitoring for adverse events from the cell type preparation and surgical procedure. Much more to learn.

2. On the animal studies leading up to this point and in the future? Watch for them to become increasingly more aggressive and advanced with this human validation. I suspect we'll see other cell types injected into the stumps, other molecules and enzymes (pharmaceuticals) being experimented with and added in combinations to see if they can maximize the results in animals for human use. Labs will be trying to find the "best of the best" combo in animals in order to apply it to human cases. You've already seen the reports and published papers in rat model contusive injuries out of Case Western Reserve University restoring diaphragm function (breathing) and bladder function in Nature and Science. Dr. Yu-Shang Lee of Cleveland Clinic does the rat surgery. You probably saw the human surgery in the video, imagine doing that in small rats! Anyway, I think the work will remain aggressive in the PNG strategy to promote recovery and especially at chronic stages. With further success in animals, it will continue to push over into humans as a strategy that may become pretty mainstream as a possible treatment option for neurosurgeons to help restore function.

Last edited by GRAMMY; 10-22-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks Grammy!!