Thread: Jewett back brace

Jewett back brace

Just a question for anybody in the know, I was surprised when I was just reading about a Jewett brace in that it is for lower back injuries. I was in one of these for a couple of months or so after my injury and I'm a T4 complete injury. According to this write up, it's used for lower back injuries T10-L3, strange. I wonder why they had in this, I use to hate wearing it, it really restricted my movement, could not bend forward much. Must have been a reason I guess they had me in this. I had always just assumed that the Jewett brace was for higher back injuries and that tortoise shell looking brace was the one for lower back injuries. Here is the write up I was reading on Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_brace
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

The Jewett brace has been used with a variety of injuries. It helps to keep the spine in a particular position. The clamshell is used similarily. Both prevent flex ion, the Jewett allows extension while he clamshell does not. Some of it is physician preference, but some is aLos determined by the exact type of injury you had and the repair to it.
    ckf

I guess I can't complain as I woulda rather have been in the Jewett like I was rather than the clam shell brace, those look even more uncomfortable. I was just wondering though, I do remember seeing other higher back injuries in the Jewett also, it just kind of caught me off guard when I read it was for T 10- L 3 injuries, but I guess there is no real set rule. Seemed to work for me as I don't seem to have any scoliosis and got out of my injury with no implanted rods, just bed rest for a long 6 weeks with little movement. My understanding is these days they don't give people a choice and it's right to the ER for the Rod implants so the insurance companies don't have to spend as much paying hospital bills for someone who is laid up in bed for 6 weeks, I'm glad I got in early
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred