Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tilite tr3 vs. top end terminator

Tilite tr3 vs. top end terminator

Does anyone have experience with these chairs? Which do you believe to be the better ride? Pros or cons?

I've owned both. The Top Ends when Chris Peterson was building them was the best chair I owned. The one I bought after Chris sold to Invacare was not any where near what the older Terminator was. When it came time for a new chair I bought a ZRA to dial in the measurements for the Tr I'm sitting in now. Getting ready to order a Tr3. The Tilite is a good chair but like the other manufactures, as they got bigger the customer service has gone down. For one, a person can't buy parts directly from them, you have to go thru a dme.

If Lasher or Box took insurance, I'd buy one of them but will be satisfied with the Tr3. Will never go back to a Top End again. IMO Tilite is my preferred chair between the two.

I heard that Box chair don't thave heat treatment after welding, how strong will it last?
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

I am sitting on a TR3 almost 2 years old. I will say it is great. Really no issues. Jut need keep replacing scissor brakes, but I like the brakes. No smashing fingers. I do not add "add-ons" to chairs. I try to keep weight of chair as small as possible. If mfg getting bigger as stated above, that not good. I do like the TR3 and hope I am sitting on it for a good time.

Tr3
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Tr3 imo i dont think i can find a fault with it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    I heard that Box chair don't thave heat treatment after welding, how strong will it last?
    Is anyone post-weld heat tempering, today?
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I've owned both. The Top Ends when Chris Peterson was building them was the best chair I owned. The one I bought after Chris sold to Invacare was not any where near what the older Terminator was.
    Just out of curiosity, when was that? I bought my Top End in 1994, and it's still in great shape (well, I've replaced the sideguards, casters, and upholstery, but the frame and axle are solid).

I think Chris sold it in the late '90's but still ran the T/E division and built chairs and handcycles in Pinellas. In the mid 2000's Invacare decided to start building the chairs elsewhere. Chris is basically just doing the racing handcycles now, if that. I'm sure someone will have a better update. I first came to know Chris when Rick Hanson was doing his run around the world in '85.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 10-19-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Just out of curiosity, when was that? I bought my Top End in 1994, and it's still in great shape (well, I've replaced the sideguards, casters, and upholstery, but the frame and axle are solid).
    Let me try that again (getting old's a bitch!). I bought it in 2004.