Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Great depression!!??

Great depression!!??

Just curious (I know it's very unlikely) is there anyone on here that lived through the bulk of the Great Depression disabled?

Prior to WWII there were very few SCI survivors who lived more than a few months up to a couple of years. Lack of antibiotics meant that a UIT, pneumonia, or a wound infection would very often be fatal. Even those who had other disabilities such as CP or polio has very limited life expectancy in those days.

(KLD)

anyone catch the new PBS Ken Burns documentary series on the Roosevelts? God Bless FDR. His contribution, spent a huge portion of his wealth from his inheritance on developing Warm Springs in Georgia, had a huge impact on the quality of life for polio survivors pre-WWII. Improving lives, affecting the public's view of us "crippled lames" helped enormously at a perfect time in history with many injured veterans coming home. I imagine a lot of them felt lucky compared to so many that lost their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Prior to WWII there were very few SCI survivors who lived more than a few months up to a couple of years. Lack of antibiotics meant that a UIT, pneumonia, or a wound infection would very often be fatal. Even those who had other disabilities such as CP or polio has very limited life expectancy in those days.

(KLD)

I see I figured that. Sadly I believe this world is heading for another catastrophe both economy wise and environmentally. Pampered societies never last, and because of this pampered society is the only reason we have the luxury to be understanding with optimism, care and acceptance towards the disabled. This is something that is very evident to me, just as obvious as the signs were heading to that point I just want to see if anyone made it through one of those. This will be far worst then the Great Depression and even though our medical understanding is far better in a crippled economy with limited resources it'll make little difference.

My DVR only recorded 5 of the 7 2 hour episodes, but I absolutely loved what I saw about FDR. Great documentary.

Don't mean too divert from James thread but I thought the Roosevelt Documentary was perhaps Ken Burns best work yet (imho) and he has done a lot of excellent projects.

Among the many things it was amazing to see how much both "Teddy" and FDR each accomplished with what seemed to be sheer will and focus. Great stuff.

I've aways read FDR was happy when in Warm Springs. It is great to see the film footage and how much he enjoyed being a peer to others with polio and how relaxed he was in that setting.

Eleanor Roosevelt was amazing in all her accomplishments also.

In regard to possible looming economic depressions and how persons with disabilities fair I think things would work out similar between disabled and non disabled.. resources make a difference in quality of life and options. Aging and disability are pretty much merging together it will be an interesting road for the boomers... I think we'll figure it out though.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    I see I figured that. Sadly I believe this world is heading for another catastrophe both economy wise and environmentally. Pampered societies never last, and because of this pampered society is the only reason we have the luxury to be understanding with optimism, care and acceptance towards the disabled. This is something that is very evident to me, just as obvious as the signs were heading to that point I just want to see if anyone made it through one of those. This will be far worst then the Great Depression and even though our medical understanding is far better in a crippled economy with limited resources it'll make little difference.
    James are you still going to rehab every other day? I wonder if a change in scenery or even pace would help your outlook. I realize how exhausting, physically and mentally, it is to stay positive in the first few years. I also understand that a lot of what you write here on CareCure is venting, everyone needs that. It's important not to bottle up the "bad" but try to stay realistic. You are a smart young man. I know you will come through the tough trying years and get to a good place finding real life is far more than your teenage fantasy of beating people up, getting wasted and taming strange. However you try to deny it, you are depressed right now. Everyone at some point in their life experiences it. Own it, appreciate it, it will make you cherish the good things once you can see them again. A cool psychologist I had in rehab explained "direct your thoughts and your feelings will follow". Posting about assisted suicide and the next economic downturn seems extremely pessimistic and isn't helping anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    I've aways read FDR was happy when in Warm Springs. It is great to see the film footage and how much he enjoyed being a peer to others with polio and how relaxed he was in that setting.
    The story goes it was the only place he truly let down his guard. From my perspective it's a great feeling being around peers you can relate to, you know they understand and you can be yourself. It's too bad James has no interest in any type of adapted activities, I know the social aspect would be great for him.

James,
    I think you would enjoy browsing through the collections in the online disability history museum.. It is very enlightening and probably one of the best disability history archives in the world.

http://www.disabilitymuseum.org/dhm/lib/browse.html
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    James,
    I think you would enjoy browsing through the collections in the online disability history museum.. It is very enlightening and probably one of the best disability history archives in the world.

http://www.disabilitymuseum.org/dhm/lib/browse.html
    Thanks, but I don't think so I disagree with disabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    James are you still going to rehab every other day? I wonder if a change in scenery or even pace would help your outlook. I realize how exhausting, physically and mentally, it is to stay positive in the first few years. I also understand that a lot of what you write here on CareCure is venting, everyone needs that. It's important not to bottle up the "bad" but try to stay realistic. You are a smart young man. I know you will come through the tough trying years and get to a good place finding real life is far more than your teenage fantasy of beating people up, getting wasted and taming strange. However you try to deny it, you are depressed right now. Everyone at some point in their life experiences it. Own it, appreciate it, it will make you cherish the good things once you can see them again. A cool psychologist I had in rehab explained "direct your thoughts and your feelings will follow". Posting about assisted suicide and the next economic downturn seems extremely pessimistic and isn't helping anyone.
    No I'll fix myself, or die trying I will not accept this, I will not bare the shame of many more bowel care days though. It's better to die on your feet then live on your knees. Sir I do not want to beat people, I want to know I can if I have to, and only when absolutely necessary. Even though I think about hurting people constantly, I've been through shit iam an extremely violent person I can't help it, But I have Great self-control and a strong sense of honour. Yes I'do like to have the luxury of drinking, then wondering with the guys, maybe enjoy a wonderfully pleasurable sexual experience. But I can put all of that aside for training to fight and joining the military. But why, why, why do I continue talking about this, it is illrelevant, and pathetic.

"It will effect abile bodied and disabled people The same" sorry this is foolish, whether you want to believe it or not we are the weak link. Yes the initial strike will kill many people of all shapes and sizes sort of speak, but after when it comes to living off almost nothing, running, escaping, fighting, defending that's where we will be in trouble, Where there's no caregivers to take care of us, organizations to help us. (One of the main reasons I can't accept us as equals to most abs). When all the dust settles there will be a few groups of strong healthy able-bodied people, there won't be many or any wheelers. Americans seem to be prepared, stockpiling and rightfully so conspiracies there is being thrown in jail for blog posts, strange concentration camp like facilities being built, empty fields with thousands of plastic coffins being found, ebola outbreak with no talk of travel bans, some of the most gruesome and disturbing homicides all coincidently being blamed on drugs please, China owning most of the debt, buying major American companies, dividing our forces, strange new training and drills, not to mention markets doing terrible, fear, more fear and fear again. BUT I believe most of the disabled community does not take the time to do so, let's face it they have more shit on their plate. But a positive outlook on your disability will do absolutely nothing if the pampering qualities of society are no longer there. This illusion of mental strength will do nothing, only preparation and a lot of luck will help. That why I feel we need to address these things.

thing is I don't think we realized how many conspiracy theories have turned out to be true in the past, yes some are garbage well hopefully, but some have been and are very true. Think about it the concentration camps in World War II were just rumors, and ended up being worse than we imagined. CIA testing brainwashing techniques on human subjects, billionaires trying to turn America into a fascist state, all true already happened. A month ago when the Ukraine prime minister was in Canada to Russian bombers came within 50 km of Canadian airspace we had to send two fighters to scare them off, with no response. Supposedly good relationships are on thin ice, with a dying economy and dying environment. The more research I do on medical science, the more I find and the more ignorant I feel. We now know that the ice caps are melting at an unstoppable rate. We know that radiation is filling the Pacific ocean, killing marine life, marine life that is essential for us to survive far more important then the honey bee. A researcher recently stated (I forget his name but I get nothing by lying) that if any of the sea floor gases get into our atmosphere we are fucked. Pretty well exact quote. Another man claiming to be a high raking working for NASA and Sara made a video trying to spread the word that the magnetic field was in for a pole shift soon predicted 2016, something that would pour radiation into our atmosphere. That video cannot be found. Since then I have seen articles stating that the magnetosphere is deteriorating 10,000 times faster than we thought, holes are opening, and recently that a magnetic field pole shift is thousands of years overdue. Not to mention that we've known for a long time that a global extinction is thousands of years overdue, and overpopulation is becoming a major concern. Is just so many signs, and look at the history of human civilization. Never, and I mean never has a great civilization lasted. Why because of human nature of course. Every so-called sin is inside all of us, that includes presidents, Popes etc. We divide ourselves with invisible lines, fight and kill each other over them. Drain our precious resources as quickly as possible so others can't get to them. The we creat a story, an idea of what the unknown is, what happens after death, where we came from etc then we kill, pushed to the point of genocide to make sure everyone has the same idea. Then Literally spit it in the face of the very foundation and purpose of that idea. In my eyes that is a species that is destined to struggle or destined to die out.

My favorite actor Leonardo DiCaprio, a celebrity worthy of respect recently spoke at the UN about climate change, it was very good to say the least. All in all I will be following cure research very closely because yes I want to have sex, I want to run, I want to join the military I want a lot of things, but also because I know something is coming, it's foolish to think otherwise. And the only way to survive is to be strong, healthy and prepared. Sadly positivity, optimism, understanding, acceptance, compassion will do nothing. I will also be watching our governments and economies closely and following climate and environmental research closely.

Summer is over I live in a rule area, I don't get out much anymore I read a lot, I kinda enjoy reading now actually. My few friends that are still in town do the same and we all agree, something is very wrong.