Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Kate's Working 2 Walk 2014 Seattle Blog is now LIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    I support The Right to Try" approach in SCI.

Paolo
    I ABSOLUTELY FRICKING AGREE WITH YOU 100% HERE. People are dying from complications all the time. Time is of the essence here. Too bad Steve Jobs wasn't about treating paralysis .. put it out there, upgrade it later. Too bad Sergio Marchionne wasn't in the treatments for paralysis business ... I admire him as a business man who got things done.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite View Post
    Brian Kwon was a last minute replacement speaker for another who cancelled. He wasn't even listed on the agenda, that's how last minute he was. He literally hopped a plane from Vancouver, gave a presentation, then went back to Vancouver. He wouldn't have had time to put together an abstract. I like your idea, but in this case it wouldn't have worked.

I think his line of research is absolutely related to chronic SCI. The mere fact that it is done on acute SCI doesn't mean it only deals with acute SCI alone. All acutes become chronics - you know this Paolo. If we have a better system of determining what a person will eventually end up being (ASIA A, B, or to what degree C or D), or even what "kind" of ASIA A someone is (discomplete, flaccid, spastic, etc), then people will be able to get much more customized treatments early in their SCI as well as down the road when they become chronic. That is one way it relates, indirectly, to chronic SCI.

You also must keep in mind this research is in its infancy. If we can tell what kind of ASIA A or ASIA B somebody is at the acute stage, it is reasonable we would be able to tell more about their injury at the chronic stage as well. Here are a couple of hypothetical questions; What therapies might a 5 years post-SCI patient best respond to? I'm sure lots of people would like to know what anti-spasticity or UTI medication is best for them to take instead of just doing trial and error. I'm sure patients and researchers would like to know if some people are going to respond to robotic vs. manually assisted treadmill training better. I'm sure doctors and patients would like to know if one of Jerry Silver's cocktails will work better for them than Wise's or Murray Blackmore's regenerative therapies. Or, I'm sure patients would like to know exactly what a potential treatment might give them back, if they can't expect to get everything.

This line of research is in its infancy. If you think a little bit more about it, you will realize you can't write it off just because Brian Kwon wants to apply it to acute SCI. It seems like a sensible place to start to me.
    You might want to have a look at some publications:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?...won+biomarkers

I am rather familiar with the work of Brian Kwon on biomarkers, but I was hoping I was missing something about chronic SCI & biomarkers, so far it does not seem the case.

For the abstract often presentations are based on a publication, when that is the case you just need to copy and paste it.

Science is not easy to communicate, so you can't expect people get everithing right, but I see margins for improvements.

Paolo
    Last edited by paolocipolla; 10-21-2014 at 07:53 PM.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I ABSOLUTELY FRICKING AGREE WITH YOU 100% HERE. People are dying from complications all the time. Time is of the essence here. Too bad Steve Jobs wasn't about treating paralysis .. put it out there, upgrade it later. Too bad Sergio Marchionne wasn't in the treatments for paralysis business ... I admire him as a business man who got things done.
    Well Google inc. has set up a company that seem to be interested also in CNS deseases

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calico_%28company%29

http://www.calicolabs.com/

Now they should recrute Mr. Machionne as a CEO then we just need to convince him to cure SCI and he will get it done in a year

Paolo

I attended Friday and half of Saturday, with the expectation to hear how the industry is progressing to a cure. I went home Friday evening depressed at my perceived view that the science community was splintered and without a single pathway to get all that brainpower pointed to a CURE. Saturday morning we heard Dr. Young followed by Rachell Freidman and after speaking to her at the break I just knew that before I left I needed to ask why there was no collaboration between the scientific communities and universities including those of us that want to walk again. I had to leave early to attend a funeral but hope that the collaboration conversation continued. We just want a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Terbousa View Post
    I attended Friday and half of Saturday, with the expectation to hear how the industry is progressing to a cure. I went home Friday evening depressed at my perceived view that the science community was splintered and without a single pathway to get all that brainpower pointed to a CURE. Saturday morning we heard Dr. Young followed by Rachell Freidman and after speaking to her at the break I just knew that before I left I needed to ask why there was no collaboration between the scientific communities and universities including those of us that want to walk again. I had to leave early to attend a funeral but hope that the collaboration conversation continued. We just want a cure.
    If you think there is no collaboration between multiple researchers and institutions, then you weren't paying attention.

No one single pathway will cure SCI. It will take a LOT of different things to deal with multiple issues about SCI. We must figure out what all the pieces of the puzzle are before we can start putting them together.

If we can use quantum computer and load all research results...
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Kate's blog W2W 2015:

https://liveblogw2w15.wordpress.com