Thread: any tips for a para on getting into an SUV?

any tips for a para on getting into an SUV?

Now that I am turning 44, putting on a little weight, and not as strong and nimble as I used to be - - wondering if anyone has some good tips on getting into an SUV. I noticed this Handybar for sale (http://www.avin.ca/products-page/avin/handybar/) but not sure it is useful. Looking for any tips and advice.

If you can stand I'd think that bar might help out with your balance, never seen it though so don't know much about it.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I am cerebral palsy and use a manual chair full time. I have had a Handybar for years and use it to get in and out of a Toyota Highlander. Would hate to be without it. And I wish I could go back to 44, I'm 60 years old.

Can you park next to a sidewalk? That's how I've done it all the years when I had to get into a truck or SUV. Works like an even transfer.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

This is what I did so I could get into my Toyota Tundra. You need running boards, drawings a little crude, and not my truck. I no longer have the truck. This should work for a SUV too. I just transfer onto my little step-seat then into the driver's seat. The step-seat is not attached.

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  71.9 KB

I have a SUV and put my right leg in first for the driver's seat. Left hand on the door, right hand on the seat. I use my leg as a pivot point so that when I depress with my right hand and pull up with my left hand, I pivot off my right foot and transfer in. I've done this method on my Honda CRV, Acura MDX, my friends, Chevy Tahoe, and one of my friends raised F250. I am a very strong T6/T7 para, so of course it may be different dependent on your strength and height of the SUV.
    http://www.adaptivesportsforums.com/

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.