Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you handle pills?

I saw this vacuum pen that I might try out to handle pills. See it on youtube. It's a bit small (but much larger than a pill), it's inexpensive, and worth a try I think [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one. It might be difficult to squeeze (will probably require both my hands) and it might not grip non-glossy tablets, but for the price it's worth a try.

Let me know how it works
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Is there anything that could help you squeeze it? Or would that be too much, haha. One tool to pick up pills and another to use the first tool. I was thinking like the things for quads to help squeeze eye drop bottles.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I was hoping to learn something in this thread. With the exception of some permanent paralysis and sensation neuropathy my hands work pretty good, pills pop out of my hands frequently. loading up a weekly am pm dose thing works okay as long as it has good doors on it. Sometimes more than one door pops open due to poor construction. Long ago I had one that had sliding doors which enabled only one compartment to open at a time. To fill it I could slide the whole lid off at once. It wouldn't work now because I take too many pills. On the other hand, it's the little ones that are most troublesome. Maybe your issue is the little pills too. I'll look for a link.

Most of the boxes I have found are one of two types. This one is better, but not as good as what I had: http://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/t...nt-pillbox.htm If I had it, I would combine the four daily sections into two.

Something similar to what I had is here: http://bluffcitywholesale.com/pill_b..._type=Continue Look about half way down. There is no product number, but look for price for one at 11.09 followed by 26.84. If you want to try to use and organize by pillbox, this place seems to have a true variety.
    Last edited by nonoise; 10-13-2014 at 11:33 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I use two Pharmadose by Ezy Dose. They have great doors. Operation on youtube.

edit: Oh, you, too.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 10-13-2014 at 11:57 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    I use two Pharmadose by Ezy Dose. They have great doors. Operation on youtube.

edit: Oh, you, too.
    They are the best. Did you see the giant ones at bluffcity?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I don't take many meds. but the easiest way that I have found is to use the easy open lids and then raise the bottle to my mouth as if taking a drink and feeling for one with my tongue, doing this one med at a time. My hands spasm too much on top of having no finger function to try and pick up and separate.

I have a plastic week-long, 7-day dispenser, that I use. It is broken down into 4 times for each day. Morning, noon, evening and bed. Essentially 28 different times. Sunday-Saturday. It ends up empty at the end of each Saturday. When getting in bed, Saturday evening, then refill for the following week. At refill time, I take out Sunday's and set on counter for following morning. It works really easy. I think my mother got it for me at CVS. It may take a short time to get used to, but, for me, really works well. I tale the current day noon and evening and set on counter where is visible so I know to take them. I even have different pills at different times. I even put the over-the counter in there.

This is pretty much how I do it. Early on I had a friend cut a hole in each of my pill bottles plastic caps so I could just pick it up and shake what ever I needed out without dealing with the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent K View Post
    I don't take many meds. but the easiest way that I have found is to use the easy open lids and then raise the bottle to my mouth as if taking a drink and feeling for one with my tongue, doing this one med at a time. My hands spasm too much on top of having no finger function to try and pick up and separate.
    ^^(A)^^

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    This is pretty much how I do it. Early on I had a friend cut a hole in each of my pill bottles plastic caps so I could just pick it up and shake what ever I needed out without dealing with the cap.
    Just keep in mind that some medications deteriorate if exposed to the air for long periods, esp. if the air is damp. Don't keep your meds in the bathroom for this reason. Hopefully you also do not have any animals or small children in your home who could get into your meds this way.

(KLD)