Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you handle pills?

How do you handle pills?

Other than having someone else dispense your pills, do any tools exist for handling individual pills of varying sizes and shapes? I take six pills each morning, five each evening, and several in between. I have two thirty-day trays I fill with the morning and evening pills once a month. Filling them (handling pills) is a royal pain with limited dexterity and intention tremors. Today I had them filled, then proceeded to drop one sending a months worth of pills everywhere - where they still lie while I write this.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by chasmengr; 10-12-2014 at 03:10 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I feel your pain. I use a 7-day tray with morning, noon and night slots. My wife can fill the tray in 3-4 minutes. It takes me over half an hour. That's the only time I handle the pills with my fingers. At mealtime, I dump that meal's dose into a small plastic cup and then dump individual pills into my mouth. That part is easy for me, C-7 with a little finger function.

No fingers quad here but the pharmacy does not give me child safety caps so I can get the bottle in my hand, open the cap with my teeth and shake out whatever I need.
    ^^(A)^^

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Can't fill the pill tray, period. Aid fills the 2 week tray and every 24 hrs dump pills into dixie cups marked with times like noon, 6 pm and bedtime. Cups last a long time but need to put tape on cup to write on or it will rub off. I can dump the pills out of the little sections into the dixie cups as the top is pretty wide and they stand up OK.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

There are pharmacies that will do custom blister packs - it's pretty common in Canada and the UK, and I think you can get it done in the US too.

http://www.healthmark.ca/1-20-47-Ret...kaging-en.html

Blister packs can sometimes take an atomic bomb to open...ask any nurse who dispenses drugs this way.

I would recommend experimenting with different types of pill minders. Some are easier to open with your teeth than others. Getting an aide or family member to fill them will save you a lot of grief and time.

If you have no children in your house, having the pharmacy provide your pills in bottles with non-childproof caps is also a good idea.

For taking a one time pill at night, I had one of my clients set up a system for taking his pain pill by using double sided tape on his night resting hand cuffs, have his aide put his pill there at bedtime, and he could get it up to his mouth and peel the pill off the tape with his teeth.

(KLD)

We tried many of the of the different pill containers, and for one reason or another they did not work. What has ended up working best is a cheap screw case that is easy to open, that I fill up every week. It's also safe from our dog who use to like to steal some, but would not be good around kids.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

walgreens offers meds in rolls of baggies labeled with the time due. I can't find it online but they usually have a box of them as a display on the pharmacy counters, and when they came out they tried to get me to switch to it.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

More clarifying info: VA supplies all my meds in open-friendly containers; my issue is picking up individual pills to load my 30-day divided pill boxes. I have an Android app that reminds me when & which meds to to take. I can open containers and dump pills out, but picking up and distributing one pill at a time is problematic.

I saw this vacuum pen that I might try out to handle pills. See it on youtube. It's a bit small (but much larger than a pill), it's inexpensive, and worth a try I think
    Last edited by chasmengr; 10-13-2014 at 12:15 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    I feel your pain. . . . My wife can fill the tray in 3-4 minutes. It takes me over half an hour. That's the only time I handle the pills with my fingers. At mealtime, I dump . . .<pills in my palm then> into my mouth. That part is easy for me, C-7 with a little finger function.
    Yep, just like me. Thanks.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>