Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glial scars

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    You are confused, so there must be a language barrier. Italian scientists should know what is in gliosis (aka) glial scar. It's been funded, studied and published for decades throughout the world in the central nervous system including other multiple neurodegenerative diseases.
    I don't think it's language barrier this time.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    I don't think it's language barrier this time.

Paolo
    In that case, to avoid confusion of what you think vs. what's reality, please provide proof or link quotes that support your statements. Sorry, but I'm under the impression again that you have no idea what you're talking about...
    Last edited by Moe; 10-16-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scisucks View Post
    Is there a difference in the number of axons which grow across a glial scar vs the number which would grow across a significantly smaller scar or would grow with no scar at all?
    Grammy, do you know the answers?

Paolo

Grammy, do you know the answers?

Paolo
    Yes. For consistency sake however, we'll have you work it out as you've already instructed for everyone else HERE.

Nowhere Man,

Kai Liu presented results in the Nanjing meeting n September that shows that PTEN deletion in mice will stimulate regeneration of axons in chronically injured mice. If my memory serves me correctly, he injured the mice with hemisection and transections, kept the mice for 3-6 months, and then knocked out the PTEN gene in the cortex. At 3 months, he did not see any regeneration. However, when he waited 6 months or longer, he saw corticospinal axons regenerating across the injury site in large numbers. Anyway, I believe that the results will be published soon.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    I haven't been following things that closely in the last year, and I forget everything that I've read in the past. So please correct me if I?m wrong. Your question is tough to answer. Scientists have NEVER been able to get regeneration of axons at a chronic time point (months - years). The latest regeneration that I have heard of was at 2 weeks (sub-acute), using neural stem cells. Those were also stem cell axons, not our spinal cord axons.

It's been several years, and there have been "mildly successful" regeneration in studies like PTEN & Neural Stem Cells. However, they've all been acute or sub-acute, and that leads me to believe it can't be done in a real chronic injury. Which then leads me to believe that the chronic scar is a huge barrier to axon regeneration (not the only barrier), especially host axons. Many (most?) prominent SCI researchers also say chronic scar is an issue.

If you ask this question to researchers you will get very different answers because no one can say for sure yet what the scar is made of. Relatively few researchers seem to know a lot about the scar because they believe is a problem...Paolo
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    In that case, to avoid confusion of what you think vs. what's reality, please provide proof or link quotes that support your statements. Sorry, but I'm under the impression again that you have no idea what you're talking about...
    Probably the media as usual have hyped the news, but the publication is open access and easy to read, so people who just read the news and feel misleaded or keep asking questions for which answers are easily available are just guilty of lazines.
    Paolo

Professor Paolo,
    Is there a reason why you haven't provided any links to support your statements regarding the 'glial scars' yet? Or should I just assume that you're just one of those 'lazy paper readers' who came up with this conclusion from the news like as you just described? Again I ask you Show me which paper(s) and/or which researcher(s) you spoken to that support your statements.

Your reply will help me decide if I should take you seriously or not when you post stuff.

Last edited by Moe; 11-12-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post

Professor Paolo,
    Is there a reason why you haven't provided any links to support your statements regarding the 'glial scars' yet? Or should I just assume that you're just one of those 'lazy paper readers' who came up with this conclusion from the news like as you just described? Again I ask you Show me which paper(s) and/or which researcher(s) you spoken to that support your statements.

Your reply will help me decide if I should take you seriously or not when you post stuff.

I think paolo like others here consider the knowledge of the potential regeneration inhibiting effect of the glial scar is common knowledge as a senior member.
    Here's a paper: http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/v5...l/nrn1326.html
    It seems like some people here think that paolo having an opinion render it false.
    Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by void View Post
    I think paolo like others here consider the knowledge of the potential regeneration inhibiting effect of the glial scar is common knowledge as a senior member.
    Here's a paper: http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/v5...l/nrn1326.html
    It seems like some people here think that paolo having an opinion render it false.
    Hi Void, yes I'm aware of the knowledge of the potential regeneration inhibiting effect of the 'glial scar' too, but all due respect, this doesn't answer my post which was addressed to Paolo:

"If you ask this question to researchers you will get very different answers because no one can say for sure yet what the scar is made of. Relatively few researchers seem to know a lot about the scar because they believe is a problem..."
    Last edited by Moe; 11-12-2014 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by c473s View Post
    Do you think that the damaged cellular structure remaining after injury might actually act as a scaffold of sorts? I have wondered that since the proposals of artificial structural implants began to be talked about. There are some articles and opinions that implanted stem cells migrate out of unrestrained space. So many theories seem to exist that it is difficult to sort out.
    Several researchers think that the damaged cellular structure remaining after injury might actually act as a scaffold... I think (for what it worth my opinion) it might be true in some cases such as non traumatic SCI...
    It seems it is not a black or white issue, so probably it should still be considered an open question.

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    Yes. For consistency sake however, we'll have you work it out as you've already instructed for everyone else HERE.
    I think scisucks asked very good questions. It's interesting to me that you ignored these questions, while you paied attention to my posts. Thanks for that honor BTW.

I suspect some people might think if you really knew the answers you would have just answered scisucks and ignored my posts.

Paolo