Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glial scars

Glial scars

Is there any proven method to remove a glial scar permanently? I understand Chondroitinase is a potential option, but from what I've read administration of the enzyme is difficult, and results aren't permanent, correct me if I'm wrong. Does UnTethering surgery do anything to a glial scar, it is used to help with large growing cyst (synrix) on the spinal cord correct? I think getting Past these scars is essential for effective regeneration to take place whether by stem cells or therapy. Maybe even for a epidural stimulator to be more effective.

It is not necessary to remove "glial scars." Many rat studies (Kai Liu, Paul Lu, Mary Bunge) have shown that axons grow across the injury site. It is foolish to suggest that the injury site should be "cut out."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    It is not necessary to remove "glial scars." Many rat studies (Kai Liu, Paul Lu, Mary Bunge) have shown that axons grow across the injury site. It is foolish to suggest that the injury site should be "cut out."
    Why do you write stuff like this Jim? This forum is supposed to be educating and you know how many researchers that disagree. At least write that some suggest that glial scars is not the problem. I know Wise works from this hypothesis but most researcher seem to see the scar as a big issue. And just because something is possibly doesn't mean it's inhibitory.
    Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Is there any proven method to remove a glial scar permanently? I understand Chondroitinase is a potential option, but from what I've read administration of the enzyme is difficult, and results aren't permanent, correct me if I'm wrong. Does UnTethering surgery do anything to a glial scar, it is used to help with large growing cyst (synrix) on the spinal cord correct? I think getting Past these scars is essential for effective regeneration to take place whether by stem cells or therapy. Maybe even for a epidural stimulator to be more effective.
    Studies are underway right now to find out more about these very suggestions. We should start hearing something this winter on preliminary results.

Quote Originally Posted by void View Post
    Why do you write stuff like this Jim? This forum is supposed to be educating and you know how many researchers that disagree. At least write that some suggest that glial scars is not the problem. I know Wise works from this hypothesis but most researcher seem to see the scar as a big issue. And just because something is possibly doesn't mean it's inhibitory.
    Yes Void, this forum is absolutely about education.

I wrote the above because James asked a question and I offered my opinion. There is concrete evidence from independent labs that many, many axons grow across the "glial scar." He is newly injured and has been led to believe the injury site needs to be removed because it prevents regeneration. How did he come to believe this? Are there research studies that show the injury site prevents regeneration? It is scarey to me that he thinks a piece of his cord needs to be cut out for him to recover.

Perhaps I could help out here a little bit if I may... Jim is correct in that you don't want to solve the problem of glia, macrophages and proteoglycans by cutting it out. Chondroitinase will diminish it for a period of time, but even then, eventually it accumulates once again. It's not a permanent solution. With the application of Chondroitinase, they're hoping to get lots of regeneration going before the window of opportunity closes again around the lesion site. It's a bit more complicated than you're probably thinking. It may help to type Chondroitinase into the search box and read through a few more of the threads and feedback that has been posted here. I know you're interested in hydrogels and scaffolding also. I put a video just today where they're working on smart materials to be built into these neural interfaces. Even scaffolding and the "cell padding" article you frequently talk about is much more complicated than one would initially think. They're working with smart materials to find the best materials for dealing with glia and macrophages rushing into the injury site along with the accumulation of proteoglycan. They are working with utilizing Chondroitinase in a gene therapy so it can be turned on and off also. Hopefully that will be successful and can go to clinical trial with any luck. They're looking at several different options that may help.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 10-12-2014 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I would never suggest that, I only asked if untethering surgery had any effect on a glial scar. But that's good to know it's not absolutely necessary just curious if there could be potential for more recovery if it was out of the picture.

I understand that the word "remove" was not the best term to use,, should've used dissolved, disintegrate see where you thought I was talking about cutting it out now, my apologies.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 10-12-2014 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    Studies are underway right now to find out more about these very suggestions. We should start hearing something this winter on preliminary results.
    Any idea what labs?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Any idea what labs?
    Yes. I can get back to you within the next week or two with more information on what I'm allowed to discuss (if anything). If a paper is being written, there will be nothing to discuss until after it is published.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 10-12-2014 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    Perhaps I could help out here a little bit if I may... Jim is correct in that you don't want to solve the problem of glia, macrophages and proteoglycans by cutting it out. Chondroitinase will diminish it for a period of time, but even then, eventually it accumulates once again. It's not a permanent solution. With the application of Chondroitinase, they're hoping to get lots of regeneration going before the window of opportunity closes again around the lesion site. It's a bit more complicated than you're probably thinking. It may help to type Chondroitinase into the search box and read through a few more of the threads and feedback that has been posted here. I know you're interested in hydrogels and scaffolding also. I put a video just today where they're working on smart materials to be built into these neural interfaces. Even scaffolding and the "cell padding" article you frequently talk about is much more complicated than one would initially think. They're working with smart materials to find the best materials for dealing with glia and macrophages rushing into the injury site along with the accumulation of proteoglycan. They are working with utilizing Chondroitinase in a gene therapy so it can be turned on and off also. Hopefully that will be successful and can go to clinical trial with any luck. They're looking at several different options that may help.
    . I've read a little bit about this actually, don't these "smart materials" have the potential to send Chondroitinase at The injury site to deal with the scars, then send stem cells for regeneration hopefully and inhibitors to prevent further damage. I believe a combination therapy like that will be the cure we all hope for. Obviously in conjunction with an intense walking program, and arm and hand rehab for quadriplegics.

On a sidenote in general are these scaffolds we hear about biodegradable, dissolvable? I'm pretty sure I read they are, but can't quite remember.