Thread: Bad news for Sugar Addicts...but awareness needed

Bad news for Sugar Addicts...but awareness needed

This is something I have always felt strongly about. I rarely eat sugar unless it is in the form of a whole food or fruit. Or dark chocolate which has antioxidants. Not never, but only in special occasions. Salt is my nemesis! Which I need to work on as I sit here all swollen again! Legs up

This article is an eye opener and one I feel so many of use need to know if we didn't think about before.

"You may wonder ?why am I chatting about sugar?? There are so many, many effects of sugar on the SCI body, weight gain, decrease in healing of wounds, risk of diabetes, UTIs??the list is endless. An elevated blood sugar level stiffens the arteries and causes narrowing of the blood vessels. The effects of this are far-reaching and include the origin of wounds as well as risk factors to proper wound healing. We already have decreased circulation from being spinal cord injured but now narrowed blood vessels lead to decreased blood flow and decreased oxygen to a wound. An elevated blood sugar level decreases the function of red blood cells that carry the nutrients to the tissue. This lowers the efficiency of the white blood cells that fight infection. Without sufficient nutrients and oxygen, a wound heals slowly.

Let?s take a minute to absorb this statement??narrowed blood vessels → decreased blood flow → decreased oxygen to promote wound healing. Mmmm, interesting, isn?t it!! Sounds like the idea of a simple precious sweetener leads to many other problems. Remember, sugars are also referred to as sucrose, fructose, dextrose, lactose, and many other names.

Urinary tract infections can be an additional concern with increased sugar consumption. Higher blood sugars may cause a spilling of sugar into the urine which acts as food for bacteria and makes it much easier for bacteria to grow and replicate thus leading to urinary tract infection. Sugar or glucose allows the bacteria in the urine to reproduce much easier. We are already trying to remedy the urinary system of issues associated with spinal cord injuries. Ingesting increased amounts of sugar is a cumulative, evolving issue." Rollin RN Patty Kunze

http://pushliving.com/index.php/life...lous-and-sugar
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

There was a research article I just read about Alzheimers disease of 10 people who had memory loss which impaired their ability to continue working. They were placed on a low carb- no simple sugars diet, no food after dinner-at least 5 hours from dinner till the next time they ate and Tumeric and the hormones they were low in- i.e. thyroid and Vitamin D and lots of other vitamins and 9 out of 0 were able to return to work and family said memory was better than it had been in years!
    I think everything in moderation and they add "sugar" to everything even bread! or they did- they are cutting down on it now. Read labels and you would be surprised.
    CWO
    CWO

Concerning the part about sugars feeding bacteria in the urine : How does that affect D-mannose which some of take for prevention or is Dmanose a different type of sugar that would not feed bacteria?

Banned
    Great question. According to Web MD, D-mannose is a sugar related to theglucose family. It is a simple sugarfound in fruits such as apples, oranges, peaches, blueberries, and cranberries. D-mannose might prevent certain kinds ofbacteria from sticking to the walls of the urinary tract and causing infection. The belief is that bacteria sticks to sugarand leaves via the urine but unfortunately no studies have been completed todetermine if D-mannose is effective to reduce UTIs. Many of my friends swear by the use ofD-mannose to prevent UTIs. There wasonly one downside to D-mannose I was able to locate?..because it is in the glucosefamily, it may be difficult to maintain blood sugar levels of a person who isalready diabetic. Other side effects mentioned with usingD-mannose may be abdominal bloating or loose stools and high doses may causekidney damage. One word of caution, if you are pregnant or become pregnant oryou are breastfeeding, please notify your physician prior to taking anymedication.
    Reference: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/d-mannose-uses-and-risks.