Thread: Looking for quad friendly activities in FL Keys, Accessible beach & beach wheelchair?

Looking for quad friendly activities in FL Keys, Accessible beach & beach wheelchair?

Hi all,
    I'm thinking of traveling to the Florida Keys with a friend around Thanksgiving time. From what I've read, it seems that Key Largo and Key West are best when it comes to quad friendly fun? I'm specifically looking for power chair accessible beaches and either accessible daytime cruises or sailing. I'm a little familiar with Shake-a-Leg and was wondering if the person has to take the sailing course or can they be transferred into the boat then taken sailing with an experienced sailor?

Regarding the beaches, I'm looking for the names of any Key West or Key Largo beaches that are wheelchair accessible (i.e. with special rollout mats, etc.) and/or offer beach wheelchairs. Any other recommendations for quad friendly fun in the Keys is greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Dan G. in CT

I live in Fort Lauderale, and have been down many times...to Keys, but never saw a accessible Beach. I will follow this post...you will have a great time if you like to listen to live music Duval Street is full of great places for this activity. Plus drinking and eating the night away if you like that kind of thing
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Smathers Beach in Key West is accessible. They have it ramped to a covered beach hut with a picnic table. There are no wheeled beach chairs that I am aware of.