Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What does, "It's not about a cure. It's about quality of life." mean?

It's something about that culture up north. Canadians (not all!) tend to be brain washed into liking their disability, or at least complacent with it. They think they are cool. I am embarrassed for them.

Dear Taymas
    I would like to address a few points in regards to What you have stated.
    1. There is No mountain being made of a molehill. They made their quote and I wrote to ask them What they meant by it and made some guesses at What it could mean. They've been asked to respond and I'll put their response up. You're making it sound like I'm lighting the the torches to get ready to storm the citadel. I've simply asked a question.
    2. In regards to What you call the issue of perception, you could be right about What they meant, but we won't know until we ask. They may even have the same perspective as you do and may appreciate the fact that someone has taken a minute to point out How the quote could be misconstrued.
    3. Tbone was right about How he says walls are built. Words are important because they build How a problem is perceived. We don't want people to get the idea that we're not interested in cure.
    3. Which brings me to the information that scaper gave you. SCIBC is not a simple charity but represents those with SCI and is a membership organisation. You should have checked this fact before preaching How we should leave this care oriented charity alone. This is not the position that SCIBC holds in the public.
    You're right, there is No sense in pushing a cure agenda on an org investment involved only in care. I wouldn't do this, but I would also expect an org like this not to be critical of cure.
    Finally, don't be a smart ass and put cure activists in quotes or use words like Big, tongue in cheek, to describe them. The second you do this, people will start asking you who you are and What you have done to put you in a position to judge others. Personally I prefer the word activist because it does sound more 'active'.

In the end, the only thing that I have done is to ask a question to a very pubic organisation which represents people with SCI about their public statement. The day that we can't do this for fear of rocking the boat, is the day we should just give up.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

There will never be a cure. Treatments yes, but a cure won't happen in our life time. 30yrs speaking here.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    There will never be a cure. Treatments yes, but a cure won't happen in our life time. 30yrs speaking here.
    your opinion is wrong.

Lynifer,
    I'm Sorry to say this because I respect you but you cannot say there will never be a cure and base that only on your experience. It would be like someone having lived a thousand years and in 1968 stating that there would never be a moon landing.
    We need the most experienced like you on the front lines explaining why there hasn't yet been a cure and your ideas on How to achieve one. That's What I would love to hear from you not demoralizing verdicts.
    Dennis Tesolat

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

This hurts lynnifer, really hurts...

Lynifer
    I'm Sorry to say this because I respect you but you cannot say there will never be a cure and base that only on your experience. It would be like someone having lived a thousand years and in 1968 stating that there would never be a moon landing.
    We need the most experienced like you on the front lines explaining why there hasn't yet been a cure and your ideas on How to achieve one. That's What I would love to hear from you not demoralizing verdicts.
    Dennis Tesolat

Martin Luther King

what is your definition of CURE?

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    It's something about that culture up north. Canadians (not all!) tend to be brain washed into liking their disability, or at least complacent with it. They think they are cool. I am embarrassed for them.
    SO true!! It literally is, bahaha. A lot of times they think they deserve respect JUST from simple fact they live with a disability, really please.

Dennis, I will be surprised if they even respond.