Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: What does, "It's not about a cure. It's about quality of life." mean?

Blog Entries
    Oh, I see, you want to focus on CAN and CAN'T. Probably not the best choice of words. How about some people DO and some people DON'T. The potential for either isn't fixed in stone. Believing CAN and CAN'T to be permanent, predetermined, character qualities has as a premise humans can't learn (aka can't change). That's objectively false. Else, how could we come to even think we CAN'T? Understanding CAN'T vs DON'T is as important to living fulfilled as understanding CONTENT vs SATISFIED. You may, or may not, be doing it now, but everything can change. Everything DOES change. No exceptions to this have been found in our Universe, to date. Even stubborn ol' James "I Can't" McM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    That's garbage, just like some people CAN find new passions and interests some people simply CAN'T and they don't just fucking decide to believe that. That's the person they are, with the perspective they hold over life. You know how Tyson and Ali became so good is because boxing and fighting flows through there veins no different then their blood, there was nothing else for them. This is a common thing for not for professional athletes to say, but the best professional athletes. The ones that make the other pros look like amateurs the faces of the sports. They live and die for it. Some people feel that way about computers or art and don't get much recognition for it, some feel that way about violent and or fighting. If you can just give up on or switch your passion. Simply because you can no longer do it no more because you damaged your leg became paralyzed etc means it wasn't really something you loved something you lived for basically it was more of a hobby.

"A person living with a spinal cord injury, and living contentedly, meaningfully, and/or fulfilled, isn't lying to themselves, or denying reality. They are embracing reality"
    that's not entirely true, and completely debatable. There are many that are just embracing reality but they're the ones that are usually either lower injuries, can still do their favourite things, have a spouse, kids etc, and their are others that are completely lying to themselves. In fact I think most are partially in the denial, for the reasons I stated in my previous post. That being said I have met a few paraplegics that realize the things I stated accept them and say I'm still relatively happy with my life. Which is great for them.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Oh, I see, you want to focus on CAN and CAN'T. Probably not the best choice of words. How about some people DO and some people DON'T. The potential for either isn't fixed in stone. Believing CAN and CAN'T to be permanent, predetermined, character qualities has as a premise humans can't learn (aka can't change). That's objectively false. Else, how could we come to even think we CAN'T? Understanding CAN'T vs DON'T is as important to living fulfilled as understanding CONTENT vs SATISFIED. You may, or may not, be doing it now, but everything can change. Everything DOES change. No exceptions to this have been found in our Universe, to date. Even stubborn ol' James "I Can't" McM.
    Some people are meant for certain things, that doesn't change. Like I said if you could just give up and switch your passion it was more of a hobby.
    At what point did I say "I"
    So CAN you jump?

Let me add some clarity to what I said Paolo. When I stated I had not seen researchers deliberately mislead I was speaking about the university based researchers we see like Young, Kirstead, Silver, etc. There is an entirely different group that I do nor consider researchers but rather charlatans who are claiming to be injecting stem cells that will cure you or about any ill you may have. There are some in Texas, California, Arizona and the Dominican Republic to name just a few places. They will gladly lighten your wallet while performing dubious procedures. When somebody asks you not to reveal who or where they are it raises a huge flag for me. I consider that group thieves not researchers.

I always want to know what group of peers reviewed their work or (if in the US) when the clinical trial was even if it was only for safety.

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    I have had very similar experiences.

Paolo

Hello all.
    Here are all the suggestions which I received and I hope that you can spend two minutes to help me narrow it down to 10 ideas which I will then send to SCI BC. Please let me know what you think!

http://stemcellsandatombombs.blogspo...place-its.html
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King