Thread: My sed rate and C-protein

My sed rate and C-protein

Well six weeks comes this Friday. No complications other than the Clinitron torture device. My sed rate and C-protein is still elevated and my red blood count still low but everything else is great. I get new blood work tomorrow. I see both the surgeon and the infectious disease doctors Friday and I'm headed home.

Shawn

I'd actually ask the infectious disease doc if he's read anything recently on SCI and HBO. There is a documentary screening in Washington DC about a study done using Cody Unser's First Step Foundation and, I think the PVA, and 10 volunteer veterans of various levels and years chronic and SCUBA that they transferred to a human HBO lab study. It helped in ways never really expected before. Hey, it can't hurt. Nor could a consult with a nutritionist on getting the diabetes under non-med control as soon as you can. Keep your protein levels up though. I know a few diabetic care nurses who swear their patients love Chobani Honey flavored yogurt and it fits the type 2 diet. One nurse interviewed said throwing a few walnuts in it was ok too. I prefer the fruit flavors or adding garlic and grated cucumber to plain for veggie dip. The protein is high in that brand so I actually feel like I've eaten something substantial too.

Keep healthy thoughts and get creative with excuses on why the day they chose to swap out your torture device no ones home. Yet another day at the docs... ;))

Red cell count still dropping. Sed rate and C Proteins still rising. My nutritional proteins are fine. I spent the last 2 weeks with a mild fever of 99.3 and sweating. Last night I happened to take the beds temp and discovered it was blowing 95.1 through the sand. It used to blow 91. The darn repair guy turned it up thinking it would help the sand fluidize better. Changing the bad valve fixed the sand . It flows great. We turned the temp back down and now almost 24 hours straight with no sweat and normal temp.

I will try to find something on that study. He seems convinced it offers little help for anything except lower leg and foot wounds. He keeps stating my insurance will not pay for it even though I had it preauthorized twice. I think I may just build my own when I get home.

I'm set to say good bye to my doctors here in Eugene tomorrow. Then home to return to work light duty. I'm hoping getting home with better sleep and nutrition I can get my blood levels better. My mother died of a super declining red blood count. I hope this isn't the start of the end for me.

Well, I went home on the day of my post 6 weeks from flap surgery. Getting home was fantastic. To tell the truth it's like it never happened. I lost a bunch of weight which appears to be coming back slowly. I feel pretty good. I'm up 12 hours a day and went back to my job gunsmithing. I did do the antibiotics for a full 8 weeks after surgery. The multi drug resistant Pseudomonas was only susceptible to Tobramycin. Not one drop of sweat or fever since coming home. The Tobramycin definitely took it's toll on my hearing but it was a small price to pay to be alive.

The flap was like hitting the super fast forward on wound healing. I am so glad I had it done. No holes, no nothing now. I'm keeping the colostomy. This Wednesday I will get to see my regular internist and hopefully my red cell count may be getting better.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Shawm

Sounds like everything is going well except your red count. If it is still down this time around is there a test short of a contrast CT they can do to see if you are bleeding somewhere inside? Maybe a stool test to check there first. Obviously it isn't a big bleeder or you would have fainted a few times and needed transfusions.

So Tobramycin is like its cousins in causing hearing loss, eh? Good to know. I'll file that away in the old brain box. Glad to hear you're healed up in the sore area