Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: climate - pain

climate - pain

i just got back from florida was there a lil over a week zero pain anyone else experience this is it the weather or pressure or what

im thinin of goin back for a month and see what happens
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I rarely have any pain at all, but this "spring" has been much different for me. I swear my back, hip and shoulders have been constatnly aching since early March. Spring time weather hasn't really hit us yet. A few storms, very cool temps ect......I'm hoping to start feeling like my old hyper, pain free self in the next few weeks. Supposed to be moving in to some consistent warmer weather next week. Texas weather is not treating me well this year.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Cold weather is a bitch, it aggravates everything that hurts in my body. Warm weather has the opposite effect. I'm not sure how much my mind plays into these stereotypes, but they're true for me from what I've observed.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    i just got back from florida was there a lil over a week zero pain anyone else experience this is it the weather or pressure or what

im thinin of goin back for a month and see what happens
    This has been discussed in a number of threads here. A lot of people comment that their CP gets worse during bad weather. I noticed my pain symptoms, mainly the burning and compression, go off the charts when a storm is coming over and then starts to settle down once it's passed. For a number of months I monitored my pain agaisnt the barometric pressure (hourly) and found that the worst pain occured when the barometric pressure dropped rapidly, and then settled down when the pressure had finished dropping (low). It seems that the pain increases when the body has to equilibrate to a new atmospheric pressure, and once equilibrated it settles down again. Not sure if this is helps explain what happened for you, but it sounds like a move to Florida might be on the cards. I wonder if it's just a seasonal thing though. I know where I live in Australia the summer weather is usually pretty kind to me but the other seasons, not so.

Clayton
    "Wheelie Wanna Walk!"

I have noticed a difference. I can’t say if it’s always “pain” per se. I always feel pain in my legs in varying degrees. But colder weather exaggerates that frozen, uncomfortable feeling. It has been better since I moved to Florida. I have identified the cause as poor circulation. Keeping my legs warm helps.

You also might consider that being in a new place, like Florida, was temporarily distracting you away from your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by ala View Post
    I have noticed a difference. I can’t say if it’s always “pain” per se. I always feel pain in my legs in varying degrees. But colder weather exaggerates that frozen, uncomfortable feeling. It has been better since I moved to Florida. I have identified the cause as poor circulation. Keeping my legs warm helps.

You also might consider that being in a new place, like Florida, was temporarily distracting you away from your pain.

thats kinda what i was thinking
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Agree with a lot of what has been written in this thread. I was injured in QLD Australia but after being shipped home to the dead of winter in Ireland, I suffered immense pain. That was 1989 and the spine quack said it was all in my head (we never got along to well after that) I visited Florida in Spring 1991 for the veterans games and felt much better. Florida was warm, flat, cheap and very accessible, the complete opposite of Ireland so I moved there January 1992. I soon realized that the instability in the Florida weather had some type of link to my pain... I started to follow barometric pressure and that seemed to be an issue. Another was extreme temps, to cold and humid made my body lock up and ache and to hot and humid made me very uncomfortable, almost scared to leave the air conditioning! Being a bit of a nomad, I left Florida in 04 for Up Country Maui. The place is bliss and the weather more consistent but still, it could get a bit warm and I don't like not being able to be out and about. In 07 I moved again (chronic pain will to that to ya) I now live 10 minutes from the beach in San Diego county, California and the mostly stable and kind weather has for sure been the best. I think the fact that I can also be out riding my hand bike often and working part time at a physical job helps with the pain. We are having a very warm summer currently and this past couple weeks it's been in the 90's which has me hiding from the outdoors again somewhat. It's not that bad as the humidity is very low in comparison to the likes of Florida and it is just a heat wave so should pass shortly.
    I like most chronic pain sufferers have tried all the meds they offer and am not a fan. Not only did they not work for me, some of them I believe left some damage such as memory loss, no proof but I feel convinced they played a roll!
    Diet and exercise seem to be the best remedies for me to fight against the pain. I'm far from perfect but I do find a noticeable difference in my well being if I stay hydrated, eat minimal amounts of dairy and carbs. Plenty of veggies and some fruit. Staying regular with the #2's is a must for me as constipation sends my pain into overdrive. Anyway, I hope this thread takes off again and perhaps some of my rambling helps someone

i suffer greatly with weather changes... cold weather makes my pain unbearable.. i do better in summer.. till the humidity gets high , then the burning hell isn't much better then cold weather.. i do my best at 55 thru 80 ,85.. dreading this winter coming up..the polar vortex was just to much last year and put me in bed for days & weeks at a time... circulation has a lot to do with this pain..

I also have noticed barometric changes greatly effect my pain level...if we get a storm coming thru i suffer greatly...

I went to Phoenix for a vacation and loved it so much I was living here within a month.
    The heat was so enveloping. Like a heated blanket covering you. Even just 80 degrees inside is just not the same as 80 degree in the sun. The only thing I hate is the Air Conditioning (most of the time.) You freeze even if it is set at 85. When it comes on to cool your house, it’s just as cold of air blowing, no matter what it’ set at. Just changes how long the cold air blows. So your room is 85, but the air still feels cold a lot.

I often wake up sore and stiff. Mot mornings the first thing I do is go outside. I instantly start to relax my muscles. But days like last weekend were cloudy so my body was tight, sore, and my spasms were bad. Even though it was still warm, without the sun, it’s just not the same. I’d rather it be sunny and 69 than cloudy and 89.

I’m from Seattle and I was always cold, sore, stiff. It changed my whole life moving here for the better just because of the warm sun. I certainly would recommend any quads to try living somewhere warm and sunny for a month, see if they feel better. Though I heard Florida was a bit too humid and was uncomfortable for quads. Everyone is different I guess.

Greg
    Brought to you by: atrophied&twitch