Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sabotage

Haha, I watched that same episode last night! Good stuff.

150K on the clock. I did drive it to work and back today for some more seat time, and got it up to 110 also...smooth. Handles pretty good too. Downside...a real bitch to get the chair apart and into the car. I think I'll stick with large 2 doors like my Challenger, it's like 30x easier than a 4 door. Anyway, it was an interesting experience, was curious about the CVPI, now I know what it's like. Don't think I'll get one of my own though, if I was AB it would be cool, but not too functional for me now.

Quantity vs. Quality...

I couldn't help myself and went shopping again last week. I was interested in a fairly nice silver Crown Vic with chrome tail light trim (undercover-like), but that went for some $2600...I'm too cheap to consider that a throwaway car at that price. And then a white 2006 with 137K on it caught my eye...bottom feeding time. The price was cheap, and since I was messing around bidding up what looked to be a dealer shopping there on various other cars, and this new one also, I just couldn't resist helping him spend his money. .

Anyway, I was thinking...that is way too cheap for what it is going for, so back and forth we went bidding. I wanted my fellow taxpayers get the best deal on surplus copmobiles you know! At my final bid of $1425 I was waiting for his next bid...but it never came. "Congratulations, you have won the item"...oh shit.

So now I am the proud owner of yet another Crown Vic, these seem to multiply like cockroaches, eh? This one seems pretty good though, near new tires, new brakes, recent alternator and intermediate steering shaft, and whatever else the state seen fit to keep this 'persuit ready'. Just add turban and long beard, right?

In the next days, I did some experimenting with the drivers door by loosening up the hinge bolts so that the door would open 90 degrees. Interestingly enough I was able to do a chair disassembly pretty much like how I do it in the Challenger. No twirling, turning, or misc strange maneuvers needed to get it apart and in the car and out again. So that means that I am going to have a winter beater now.

I took the door off and started cutting down the hinge stops on the door hinges, so far I got through most of the top hinge. I might shoot some pics or make a video of carving up a clunker for some show and tell for this project.

My very own cop car:

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  78.0 KB

Interesting about 4-door vs. 2-door. I've had both. I find this to be a dilemma. Take my Civics as an example. My first Civic was a coupe. The door opening was great, even for a '97 Civic. The problem was that the door didn't open wide enough, not enough angle. Sure I could get my chair in once I was in the driver's seat, but it was hard to get my chair close and at the right angle to transfer in and out. I had to jump a greater distance. (not really all that much of a problem for me though)

Now, my '96 4-door Civic's smaller doors opened nice and wide angle probably over 80 degrees. I could get up close to the seat and at the right chair angle. The problem: those small door openings. The steering wheel caused some difficulty with my chair frame. And any wheels larger than 24" were a bitch. So I went back to a coupe for my 2007 Civic and hated it. The doors seemed a little larger than the '97, but the angle of opening sucked worse.

I seems to me that car makers design doors to open to a certain maximum width, probably for garages and parking spaces. Bigger doors = less angle (maybe bigger wider cars too). I've noticed that small cars are bigger now than they used to be. And designers have found ways to design larger doors and opening into very small car designs. My 2104 Corolla sedan doors are nearly as large as my 2007 coupe. I'll go with 4 doors from now on. Besides my kids (all are older than 21) hate the-2 door back seats.
    Last edited by ala; 10-21-2014 at 08:34 PM.

I hear you on the transfer differences. On this CV, the seat is hidden behind the center post, so the transfer is sort of backwards. But i'm fairly flexible with transfers as I always use a board to guide and hold the chair. The big problem was needing a reverse hinged elbow to get the wheels off the chair, and back on again. Turning the chair round and round to accomplish the task just takes too much time and work.

Do the Japanese cars still have a metal strap as a hinge stop? That design seems like it would be rather easy to modify to get a desired door opening angle. You should see this thing...I'm attacking 1/4" steel metal tabs that are part of the hinge itself with a die grinder.

Speaking of doors and designs...check out those Pontiac GTO's (Holden Monaro). It's a 2 door, but a real short door, that doesn't open much. Really struck me as odd looking at that.

Hmmm...I thought I posted, try again. Andy have you tried a belt sander using 24 grit paper. It is surprising how good that combo is at cutting steel. And are you able to rehang that door "all by yourself"? I suppose a 2 door is lighter than a 4 door, but I remember swaping one on a Fiero a few years ago with my son. It was a bi@#$.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Andy,

Regarding "... a bit of auctioneering ... went shopping again last week ..." - what website did you use for your auctioneering?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Do the Japanese cars still have a metal strap as a hinge stop? That design seems like it would be rather easy to modify to get a desired door opening angle. You should see this thing...I'm attacking 1/4" steel metal tabs that are part of the hinge itself with a die grinder.
    Yes, my Hondas all had the same metal strap, looks the same on my Toyota and Kia too. I have done almost all my own work on our cars for decades, some crazy stuff too. But I didn't even think of extending those straps. It would have made parking our cars side by side at home a little tricky, but it would have been an easy fix for my door dilemma.

Grinders, hacksaws, torches, and just about anything that works to alter (or mutilate) metal, wood, plastic, etc. are often my tools of first choice. Good luck making sparks. (Don't start any fires.)

On a side note, I have owned a lot of cars and motorcycles over the years but only one Ford. It was a 1980 Fairmont, 4 cyl, 4spd, 4 door. I ordered it new. I remember it was around $4500 OTD.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Hmmm...I thought I posted, try again. Andy have you tried a belt sander using 24 grit paper. It is surprising how good that combo is at cutting steel. And are you able to rehang that door "all by yourself"? I suppose a 2 door is lighter than a 4 door, but I remember swaping one on a Fiero a few years ago with my son. It was a bi@#$.
    Got something better...Carbide burr. Amazing how well that eats up steel . I have a buddy to do the heavy lifting, but worse comes to worse I have one of those Harbor Freight 'Lightweight Racing Jacks' made of aluminum for easy moving of it around the garage. Use that for lifting the door back up to the hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by WC_Sage View Post
    Andy,

Regarding "... a bit of auctioneering ... went shopping again last week ..." - what website did you use for your auctioneering?
    https://ibid.illinois.gov/browse.php?id=211

Usually junk and scrap there, but sometimes you get some good stuff depending on what agency is selling the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ala View Post
    Grinders, hacksaws, torches, and just about anything that works to alter (or mutilate) metal, wood, plastic, etc. are often my tools of first choice. Good luck making sparks. (Don't start any fires.)

On a side note, I have owned a lot of cars and motorcycles over the years but only one Ford. It was a 1980 Fairmont, 4 cyl, 4spd, 4 door. I ordered it new. I remember it was around $4500 OTD.
    Hmmm, acetylene torch...yeah, that'll make the job real quick! Thanks for the idea! . Those were some good 'ol days when your average car didn't cost an arm and a first born. I guess people didn't make as much either, but still...

I made a little video of the mayhem. Also knocked out the other hinge tonight. Still to do is 'radius' the lower hinge, get the Wixey angle guage out to make sure both hinges open the same for a professional hack job, wait for the touchup paint to arrive and paint, then hang the door. And get some plates for this beast as I only ordered a title for it as I was unsure if I would actually keep it or not at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Got something better...Carbide burr. Amazing how well that eats up steel...
    Tell me more about what Carbide burr cutter looks like. It sounds like I need to try it.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Tell me more about what Carbide burr cutter looks like. It sounds like I need to try it.
    This is what I got.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#4292a128/=u9vu3g