Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corset, binder, or...

Corset, binder, or...

I saw my physical therapist recently and she's recommending that I use either a corset or a binder. Ive avoided using any kind of support for over 20 years so I can strengthen my trunk. What do you use? Or do you avoid using anything? While I'm waiting for the corset I'd like to try a binder, where do you get them?
    C5/6 23 years post injury.
    Author of Twisted Consequences

This is just a question. Has something changed over the last 20 years to now require support?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Some posture issues, some digestive issues with bloated left side..

I gave up my binder 30 years ago and have been told to start using it again due to low blood pressure.
    ^^(A)^^

Where would someone purchase a corset or binder, and how would one determine what size to get?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Where would someone purchase a corset or binder, and how would one determine what size to get?
    To get the very best fit and garment for your needs, you probably need to see an orthotist. Most "binders" (those velcro/elastic models available in drug stores) will not be covered by insurance/medicare.

All the best,
    GJ

I agree. A corset will have stays in it to provide orthopedic support, but may need to be modified somewhat or it can cause you skin problems. A binder will provide abdominal support and help with blood pressure, but really does little or nothing for trunk support.

(KLD)

I've been wearing corsets forever, but, according to the place from which I got them, these are no longer made. With or without a corset, my upper chest is always bending forward against the chest strap, and I think that bend aggravates shoulder blade problems. I've tried hard vests in the past, but didn't get anywhere with them.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I wear them religiously..for low blood pressure, but also for digestion, and support. It is just not good to let all the internal organs push out due to no abdominal wall muscles. SO it acts as the muscle...it is hard to find the perfect one for sure...but I do get mine from ebay. Here is the link..it will be hit or miss, trust me I have a shelf of them. They are often not tight enough for me now...as I lost weight after cutting out dairy and wheat....huge gut bloaters anyway!

They must be thick enough and firm...many are too thin and flimsy...they must have boning...or they will roll up. rubberized ones are better.as they are "firm support" ...but may be hot..for some...the others are softer, but may need alteration. I am going to just figure out a way to alter my own...just haven't gotten around to it. One day I will get it right and let you know

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Girdles-...item3f15540989
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

[QUOTE=sherocksandsherolls;1749154]I wear them religiously..for low blood pressure, but also for digestion, and support. It is just not good to let all the internal organs push out due to no abdominal wall muscles. SO it acts as the muscle...it is hard to find the perfect one for sure...but I do get mine from ebay. Here is the link..it will be hit or miss, trust me I have a shelf of them. They are often not tight enough for me now...as I lost weight after cutting out dairy and wheat....huge gut bloaters anyway!

I've been wearing a corset made by Hanger, I'm liking the BP benefits and did notice the digestion and support stuff as well, an added unexpected bonus is that I can get through a long sentence without having to take an awkward breath, and I'm louder!

I've been wearing it over my shirt, what should I put under it before putting my shirt over it?