Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You were AB

Blog Entries
    I'm in my 9th year. I used the HC stall ALL the time as an AB. I Never parked in an HC space. I Felt uncomfortable around obviously disabled people, but tried hard to make it go unnoticed, and always looked people in the eye. Today, I give people the stink eye when they come out of an HC stall when all the rest are available. I confront HC space abusers, too. And, I still feel uncomfortable around disabled people, but maybe for different reasons.

What was the point of this thread, again? That it's not OK to have been stupid as an AB and still be stupid after SCI? Or, that only perfect ABs are allowed to be bitchy PWDs? Or, who's got the bigger attitude problem? Inconsiderate ABs, or bitchy PWDs?

If those two options were playing cards, I'd split them and double down. They're both winners!

Or, maybe the point was to demonstrate that ABs can sometimes have inconsiderate and bitchy stress reactions toward PWDs, too? If that wasn't the point, it shoulda been.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

A question for SCI 55/Pat or any other long term chair users, do you ever get frustrated by some of the newbies complaining how bad things are access wise, attitude wise? Quite often I find the thought "you don't know how good you have it, try being in a chair in the 70's & 80's" running through my head, I guess it's just objectivity built through longevity. I know things could be better but we've come a hell of a long way.

Bitterness? Is that really the right word? A lot of the points that we make here are because we're talked down to, treated like we're not there, treated like we're "special", and simply not treated like a human being. Bitter? I think more like frustrated because we just want to be seen as a human beings.
    Sure we all bitch and complain about things "AB's" do or say, but isn't that what forums like this excel in. After all, it is an outlet for us to talk to others in the same boat.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Sorry to hijack, but Donno, I can't believe you use the word 'cripple'. Ha. Words are really important and the word cripple, thankfully, has morphed into 'disabled'. The whole idea being to get away from the old notion that the person has less worth (as in "oh, that guy?...he's A cripple") and adopt a term reflecting a change in attitude toward the disabled, by both AB's and the disabled person themself. (As in "oh, that guy?...he's my co-worker...he's a person with a disability").

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    A question for SCI 55/Pat or any other long term chair users, do you ever get frustrated by some of the newbies complaining how bad things are access wise, attitude wise? Quite often I find the thought "you don't know how good you have it, try being in a chair in the 70's & 80's" running through my head, I guess it's just objectivity built through longevity. I know things could be better but we've come a hell of a long way.
    To me "newbies" are people who are still feeling their way into the SCI world. They have not had a chance to develop a new perspective of the world around them. I understand they are still learning and do not fault their lack of insight if that is the case. What frustrates me is the lack of advocacy for further improvements or even fighting to maintain the positive changes by the younger SCI population who are past the "newbie" stage. They seem content to immerse themselves in their day-to-day activities, not understanding that there is a continuing barrage of threats to the civil rights we old timers fought for. Unless they become involved in monitoring and protecting these gains, and filling in the many voids that still exist they will slip back to where we were in the 1050s and 60s.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Kendall,

Good questions, mostly. I have had similar thoughts/questions in my mind also. Not so much about the chip on the shoulder, but about using parking spaces and bathroom stalls.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    I also wanted to chime in and say how I have always felt very welcomed and comfortable here even though I am not SCI, but am a wheelchair user due to a degenerative nerve disorder. My particular disability has no forum like this, and I find most of them to be very whiney. SCI people seem to hit a point and then get on with things and have a more positive outlook. I am not saying that I am not whiney, either...I totally am. Love you guys!

I was AB until my symptoms started showing in my teens. I remember how much I loved to run through my father's hay fields. I still dream about it. I remember skipping. I remember walking a mile after I was diagnosed to prove the doctors had to be wrong. I was listening to Prince's "Purple Rain" album.

I've never been ab so I'm really unsure. I'd have a closet full of heels, fabulous dancing feet and my career might have been different.