Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trial Work Period, anybody done it recently?

Trial Work Period, anybody done it recently?

I am about to finish up my 21st and hopefully final semester of college/graduate education and will start actually working for a living again (hopefully).

Anywho, so I was wondering what the deal is with a trial work period for SSDI. I searched on here any didn't find anything enlightening. The SSA website says 9 months of earnings above whatever amount on a rolling 60 month period, so I got that part, but on another (non SS) website they mentioned that SSDI would continue to pay for another 3 months after the 9 month trial work period.

Does this mean I can count on 12 months of SSDI payments while I am working? Or is the possibly sketchy website telling me stories, and after 9 months I will be cut off?

Cuz it'd be really nice to be able to put that money towards student loans.

Thanks in advance everybody.

Blog Entries
    I don't have a clue, funklab, but I do want to say: Congratu-fuckin'-lations!! What you've done in less than a decade since we were both having fun over at ADV is nothing short of awesome, hugely impressive, and dare I say the other dreaded "I" word...inspirational! I hope with all those loans you can afford a good pair of shades, 'cause the future is so bright... Cheers mate! -Oddity (aka DaleB)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

When I did the trial work period I'm pretty sure I only got paid for 9 months. But that was a few years ago.

It's 12 months. They need to do the 9/3 month thing to keep things confusing for some reason. Just make sure that they actually stop payments after 12 months, they can have a habit of not hitting the 'stop payments' button on the keyboard (gubment werkers ya know). This may or may not result in them wanting some money back, depending on the amount of overpayments.

You should get a full 12 months then if you can no longer work your SSDI will be reinstated without a waiting period.

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I don't have a clue, funklab, but I do want to say: Congratu-fuckin'-lations!! What you've done in less than a decade since we were both having fun over at ADV is nothing short of awesome, hugely impressive, and dare I say the other dreaded "I" word...inspirational! I hope with all those loans you can afford a good pair of shades, 'cause the future is so bright... Cheers mate! -Oddity (aka DaleB)
    Thanks Dale, it's been a long, hard road (for both of us, I'm sure) and it's far from over, but like the man said, you gotta get on with gettin' on.

PS: I'm glad you threw your "real" name in there, cuz I was certainly wondering who the hell Oddity is. When did you change your name?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Thanks for the reply's everyone.

Thanks Dale, it's been a long, hard road (for both of us, I'm sure) and it's far from over, but like the man said, you gotta get on with gettin' on.

PS: I'm glad you threw your "real" name in there, cuz I was certainly wondering who the hell Oddity is. When did you change your name?
    Just before the site version upgrade. Being such a consummate asshole I earned some "in real life" issues having an open identity. No worries, all is well, now, such that a reveal like this is of no consequence. The issues werent CC community related.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Just before the site version upgrade. Being such a consummate asshole I earned some "in real life" issues having an open identity. No worries, all is well, now, such that a reveal like this is of no consequence. The issues werent CC community related.
    Haha, well i hope this doesn't get you in trouble.

I used to attach my name to things here and ADV occasionally, but decided it might be more prudent just to stick with this moniker. Good to talk to you again.

-funklab

During the Trial Work Period, you get 9 months in a 60 month time frame in which you can earn as much as you are able and still get your full monthly SSD payment. The 9 months don't have to be consecutive but you've got to notify SSD about any month you aren't working so the clock doesn't keep running.

Once you finish your TWP and are earning over Substantial Gainful Activity ($ 1,070 a month in 2014), you enter into a 36 month Extended Period of Eligibility. When your EPE starts, you should get your SSD check for that month ( the TWP cessation month ) and the two months after ( the grace period ). That's where the 12 month part you read about comes into play.

Once you're in the Extended Period of Eligibility but outside of the grace period, you can still get your SSD payments during months when you either can't work due to disability or when your gross wages are less than the SGA amount.

Once the 36 month EPE is over you have a 5 year period of Expedited Reinstatement during which they can re-start your SSD benefits without a new application. The form for applying to start the Expedited Reinstatement process was hard to find. Here it is: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms/i...-SSA-371-1.pdf

You may want to also look up the SSD Ticket To Work program and determine if any additional assistance is available.

The official SSD guide to work incentives is the Red Book: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/

Best of luck to you. Going back to work was a big mile stone for us. In our situation, knowing about SSD's work incentive programs helped with the decision making process.

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    During the Trial Work Period, you get 9 months in a 60 month time frame in which you can earn as much as you are able and still get your full monthly SSD payment. The 9 months don't have to be consecutive but you've got to notify SSD about any month you aren't working so the clock doesn't keep running.

Once you finish your TWP and are earning over Substantial Gainful Activity ($ 1,070 a month in 2014), you enter into a 36 month Extended Period of Eligibility. When your EPE starts, you should get your SSD check for that month ( the TWP cessation month ) and the two months after ( the grace period ). That's where the 12 month part you read about comes into play.

Once you're in the Extended Period of Eligibility but outside of the grace period, you can still get your SSD payments during months when you either can't work due to disability or when your gross wages are less than the SGA amount.

Once the 36 month EPE is over you have a 5 year period of Expedited Reinstatement during which they can re-start your SSD benefits without a new application. The form for applying to start the Expedited Reinstatement process was hard to find. Here it is: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms/i...-SSA-371-1.pdf

You may want to also look up the SSD Ticket To Work program and determine if any additional assistance is available.

The official SSD guide to work incentives is the Red Book: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/

Best of luck to you. Going back to work was a big mile stone for us. In our situation, knowing about SSD's work incentive programs helped with the decision making process.

Thanks for the reply. I looked into the Ticket to Work program a while back, but I don't think it will really be applicable in my situation. I will (hopefully) have a gig that pretty much requires a 4 year contract with full time hours and benefits.

While reading up on ticket to work again, I came across something pretty interesting, however.

"Continuation of Medicare—If your
    Social Security
    disability benefits
    stop because of your
    earnings, but you are still
    disabled, your free Medicare Part A
    coverage will continue for at least
    93 months after the nine-month trial
    work period. After that, you can buy
    Medicare Part A coverage by paying
    a monthly premium. If you have
    Medicare Part B coverage, you must
    continue to pay the premium. If you
    want to end your Part B coverage, you
    must request it in writing."

93 months is a really long time. That's what, almost eight years! I hadn't seen that before.