Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cushion pressure mapper

Thank you very much KLD!

I got a quote online for the dolphin cushion; there must've been some misunderstanding. Can you tell me anywhere where I can find out information for the trial of a dolphin wheelchair cushion? Is there any dealer or institution you might be aware that owns a dolphin cushion? Seeking to try one out.

Most large SCI rehabilitation centers have a seating clinic. Where in NY are you ?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I am located in Albany New York. Could I ask you in the price that you quoted does it include the controller? Does it include the fluid pump controller as well as the cushion?

I'm under the impression that the cushion is only available on a rental basis and is not sold at retail to individuals? I'm still trying to find out where I can contact to try to undertake rental anywhere in the Northeast or even in California.

Regarding pressure mapping, the computerized mat only indicates pressure points. You still have to do some type of pressure relief to get adequate capillary refill. Pressure mapping does not measure or indicate capillary refill. As such, I think you have to relieve pressure every 15 minutes or 30 minutes for 15 seconds or 30 seconds. After 42 years of being in a wheelchair and having several surgical procedures on my butt to repair skin problems you'd think I would know the correct intervals of relieving pressure........but I don't!

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Regarding pressure mapping, the computerized mat only indicates pressure points. You still have to do some type of pressure relief to get adequate capillary refill. Pressure mapping does not measure or indicate capillary refill. As such, I think you have to relieve pressure every 15 minutes or 30 minutes for 15 seconds or 30 seconds. After 42 years of being in a wheelchair and having several surgical procedures on my butt to repair skin problems you'd think I would know the correct intervals of relieving pressure........but I don't!
    Good post Smokey. 41 years plus and have never heard pressure relief explained in understandable physiological terms that way. I’ll be thinking “capillary refill” makes sense.

I don’t think they expected us old goats to still be kicking around 4 decades later.... thanks.