Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHOX or Schwalbe Marathon Plus Evo?

SHOX or Schwalbe Marathon Plus Evo?

Currently running SHOX and I like them. But time to get new ones or try something else. But I saw some chatter about SHOX being too soft or gummy and not equivalent to 145psi or 115psi as they claim. However, not sure I want to go back to pneumatic tires. Schwalbe Marathon Plus Evo tires getting a lot of good buzz but twice the price of SHOX. Anybody switch SHOX to Schwalbe Marathon Plus Evos or vice versa? Any comments welcome. Thanks.

http://bike-on.com/product/schwalbe-...-tire-1420.htm

http://bike-on.com/product/shox-soli...5-x-1-2078.htm

I have Shox on my TR3 and Schwalbe Marathon Plus on my ZR. You should have no problem mounting Schwalbes on your rims as long as you have good rim tape. You'll probably have to cut those Shox off though. I normally don't like pneumatics, but the Schwalbes have been holding air well. And they ride good too. Mine were installed by TiLite with schrader valve tubes. I inflate them to about 130lbs and they lose pressure after a couple months-- down under 100lbs. They will raise your chair up about 1/2" because they have a higher sidewall than the Shox. I do like the Schwalbes but prefer the security of solid tires for most of my travels. Schwalbe Marathon Plus are very good quality tires. I guess you pay for that too.

I have never had problems with "gummy" Shox. And they do feel like 100psi+ pneumatics.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Currently running SHOX and I like them. But time to get new ones or try something else. But I saw some chatter about SHOX being too soft or gummy and not equivalent to 145psi or 115psi as they claim. However, not sure I want to go back to pneumatic tires. Schwalbe Marathon Plus Evo tires getting a lot of good buzz but twice the price of SHOX. Anybody switch SHOX to Schwalbe Marathon Plus Evos or vice versa? Any comments welcome. Thanks.

http://bike-on.com/product/schwalbe-...-tire-1420.htm

http://bike-on.com/product/shox-soli...5-x-1-2078.htm
    go right runs, great tire. marathons are heavier
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Blog Entries
    I switched from Shox to Marathon Plus. The Schwalbe tires have less rolling resistance, and for me , the extra weight is worth it. I have not had any punctures or leaks in almost 3 years, and am on my second set of Schwalbes. I paid extra for threaded Schrader valves, and I really like the extra security of not worrying about the valve stem. The Shox ran really well for a long time, but I noticed that when the high area at the center of the tread wore down, they were a bit harder to push, but that took over a year.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I have had my shox for almost 3 years now it is time i get new ones but can't afford them. Going pneumatic next tires i get.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

I have RightRuns with solid inserts - best of both worlds!

Shox claims equivalent to 110PSI. I am satisfied with the ride and durability, and appreciate no possibility of being caught with repair in field or having to carry tools. Have also considered Schwalbe Marathon Plus Evos, which I think handle better outdoors. Cost is stopping me from Evos, but Bike-On definitely has the best price. I agree with Donno about wear on Shox slightly affecting performance, but for me also was post-1 year usage so can't really complain!
    Last edited by WaveWolf; 11-01-2014 at 02:44 AM. Reason: brain fart

Blog Entries
    The Shox definitely wear for a long time. I had mine for about 3 years, and showed very little wear. I did not do much road rolling on them, as I spend most of my time in school.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

The Marathons are superb tires and will outlast just about any other pneumatic and are extremely puncture resistant. But for the reasons that John indicated -- lighter weight -- I use RightRuns. The RRs have no tread, so if you feel the need for greater traction, the Marathons may be the better choice.

I dug this up because I need to replace my tires. I have been running Schwalbe Marathon tires for the past 2 sets of tires on this chair but was wondering about switching to Shox tires. My reasoning is that when my Schwalbes go flat it has always been due to a rim strip issue and being a non driver I always have to wait to find someone who can take my tires to the bike shop when they need attention. Right now one of them is also getting bald enough to show the non flat layer that is under the dark part of the tire. I am wondering if the Shox really have the lesser rolling resistance. My back up wheels have the standard gray inflatables that do not have the high pressure my Schwalbes do so can't do much in the chair with the increased rolling resistance when I get stuck using them.