Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paying For Manual Wheelchair

First, I know nothing...
    Just curious though, is it normal for it to take so long before chair is even ordered?
    Again, I don't know anything. But seem to remember that the face to face rule on getting Rx for new chair there is a time limit on time between the evaluation and chair delivery?
    "Good Luck!"

huge red flag. if you haven't signed off on a cad, this guy doesn't have a clue what he's doing. period. a cad has nothing to do with actual order it is generated with the quote. fire him!

Quote Originally Posted by 92Trunk View Post
    I have heard no mention of a CAD. He wants me to sign a contract and pay a deposit of around $300 before he even places an order with Tilite. This has been the most complicated process I've ever been through. When we first started the process he informed me that I wouldn't have to make payment until I actually receive the chair. Now after 2.5 to 3 months he wants to change up on my. Between the Physical Therapist & the Dr. visit I'm already out of ~$220.00 with nothing to show for it. If I could get all my information from DR & PT I would just go elsewhere but I hate to loose 3 months of work. Also there's no guarantee the new vendor wouldn't pull the same stunt or maybe even worse.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks Mike. I'll have to check into the time limit. It is a long process. You have to 1st have a In home evaluation done. Then Physical Therapy visit. Then face to face DR visit. Then send in all paperwork to Medicare for approval which is usually about 2 weeks. It take another 2 weeks or so for the chair to be made by the manufacturer. Then however long the vendor waits before they bring it to you. I initially called to speak with someone about a wheelchair on June 30th. It was about a week before he came to my house. I had all my paperwork to the vendor by July 25. Vendor for some reason didn't send it to Medicare right away but according to when they claim they sent it Medicare took 3 weeks for approval. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from him to see it he wants the job or not

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    huge red flag. if you haven't signed off on a cad, this guy doesn't have a clue what he's doing. period. a cad has nothing to do with actual order it is generated with the quote. fire him!
    agreed.

I'm almost @ the point I just wanna take out a loan and buy it myself.
    That choice would only make sense if a person was working and could deduct the amount on their tax return under 'work related expenses, (not Medical).

Hope you stick with it as lots of good advice here about how this process works. The CAD drawing lets you inspect everything about the chair you ordered. A copy of the vendor's written up order should also be inspected before it's submitted to chair manufacturer. Keep in close touch with the vendor due to time limits. Absolutely agree, no payment until you measure and sit in chair. If any errors, do not "sign off" any forms.

Blog Entries
    The DME's profit is probably greater than your copay, so s/he has no reason to make you pay anything in advance.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Thanks for the comments. For some reason they just changed their mind about a security down payment. Chair has been ordered now. About how long does it take to receive an Aero-T from Tilite?

Thanks for the comments. For some reason they just changed their mind about a security down payment. Chair has been ordered now. About how long does it take to receive an Aero-T from Tilite?
    did you get a cad and sign off? if you didn't, your asking for problems. 10-14 days is what tilite is currently running.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    did you get a cad and sign off? if you didn't, your asking for problems. 10-14 days is what tilite is currently running.
    Yes I got the Cad. I wouldn't had known to ask for it had it not been for you, thanks. Vendor told me about 21-28 days to get chair. Maybe he was including time to bring it to me. Guess I'll just have to wait patiently & see how it goes although next go round I'll probably order online. I was just worried that if I didn't follow all the procedures correctly according to Medicare's guidelines I wouldn't get reimbursed.

Yes I got the Cad. I wouldn't had known to ask for it had it not been for you, thanks. Vendor told me about 21-28 days to get chair. Maybe he was including time to bring it to me. Guess I'll just have to wait patiently & see how it goes although next go round I'll probably order online. I was just worried that if I didn't follow all the procedures correctly according to Medicare's guidelines I wouldn't get reimbursed.
    awesome. your welcome, that's why im here
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com