Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paying For Manual Wheelchair

Post Paying For Manual Wheelchair

Hi, I started the long wheelchair purchasing process on June 30th and so far have already seen a Physical Therapist, Had an In-home evaluation and a Dr. visit. All of my information has been sent to medicare and everything has been approved. When I first spoke to the wheelchair company they told me That I'm required to make payment WHEN CHAIR IS DELIVERED. Now just as they are about to order it they're telling me to PAY HALF UPFRONT. Are there any concerns about paying before they order? BTW I have Medicare only if it matters.

Blog Entries
    I'd tell them that you will only pay for it if it fits. DMEs have been known to screw up an order, and then you are stuck with a chair that is not what you thought you were getting.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Agree with Donno. If it's Medicare you should only be paying 20% of copay ( assuming you've met yearly deductable by now, Sept.) Definitley don't pay for 1/2 of total chair price. Most DME's might make you sign something saying you'll pay your 20% but kind of chintzy to make you pay sight unseen, imo.

It is my understanding they are supposed to bill Medicare themselves, then you pay a co-pay. If they are not doing this I would suspect some problem with this vendor. You may want to get all copies of PT, Home eval. and Dr. report!! You may need to deal with another vendor.

I would definitely advise you not to pay anything until you get the chair and sit in it and check all measurements with a tape measure. I once had to reject a chair with incorrect measurements. It took about 3 weeks to get another, correct chair.

I would also report this to Medicare. I believe this is a violation of the Medicare vendor rules, and could result in this vendor being de-certified as a Medicare provider.

(KLD)

Thanks for all of your replies. Maybe I worded my statement incorrectly. The wheelchair vendor does not want me to pay for the entire chair. They would bill medicare for the 80%, I'm assuming after I receive the chair. They want me to pay half of the 20% amount before they place the order with TiLite as a security deposit. They also claim there would be a 25% restocking fee if I didn't buy the chair after they order it that I'd be responsible for.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I would also report this to Medicare. I believe this is a violation of the Medicare vendor rules, and could result in this vendor being de-certified as a Medicare provider.

(KLD)

Are you saying it may be a violation of Medicare vendor rules if they require me to pay half of the 20% upfront before they order the chair or does that only apply if they had asked for payment of the 80% portion?

did you personally sign off on final cad? I wont even order a chair for a customer until they personally sign off on the cad.
    your 20% shouldn't be paid till u get chair and its correct when dealing with ins and medicare/Medicaid. never have I heard of a deposit in my 27 yrs rolling when dealing with insurance

Quote Originally Posted by 92Trunk View Post
    Thanks for all of your replies. Maybe I worded my statement incorrectly. The wheelchair vendor does not want me to pay for the entire chair. They would bill medicare for the 80%, I'm assuming after I receive the chair. They want me to pay half of the 20% amount before they place the order with TiLite as a security deposit. They also claim there would be a 25% restocking fee if I didn't buy the chair after they order it that I'd be responsible for.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    did you personally sign off on final cad? I wont even order a chair for a customer until they personally sign off on the cad.
    your 20% shouldn't be paid till u get chair and its correct when dealing with ins and medicare/Medicaid. never have I heard of a deposit in my 27 yrs rolling when dealing with insurance

I have heard no mention of a CAD. He wants me to sign a contract and pay a deposit of around $300 before he even places an order with Tilite. This has been the most complicated process I've ever been through. When we first started the process he informed me that I wouldn't have to make payment until I actually receive the chair. Now after 2.5 to 3 months he wants to change up on me. Between the Physical Therapist & the Dr. visit I'm already out of ~$220.00 with nothing to show for it. If I could get all my information from DR & PT I would just go elsewhere but I hate to loose 3 months of work. Also there's no guarantee the new vendor wouldn't pull the same stunt or maybe even worse.
    Last edited by 92Trunk; 09-29-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

I'm almost @ the point I just wanna take out a loan and buy it myself.