Thread: SCS Animal Study to Clinical

SCS Animal Study to Clinical

Hey,

What do you all think of this?

Minneapolis, MN. September 24, 2014. The Spinal Cord Society Twin Cities Chapter (SCS-TC, http://www.scstwincities.org) today announces the completion of the final phase of its animal testing research, work which has been focused on the search for a cure for the chronic, or long term, spinal cord injury.
    Over the course of the past 7 years, the privately funded SCS research team, based in Ft. Collins, CO., and led by Dr. Eric Holmberg, PhD, SCS Research Director (also Professor/Chair of the Chemistry Department at the University of Alaska/Anchorage) has developed a unique photo-toxic chemical probe that eliminates the naturally developing scarring which occurs at the site of a spinal injury. This revolutionary new methodology does no harm to surrounding tissues, and when combined with cell transplants and TANES (cyclical electric neuromuscular stimulation) treatment, has promoted significant mobility and renewed muscular control in chronic lab animals.
    Said Mike Janssen, SCS-TC Chapter President, ?Given the successful results of the multiple rounds of testing on the treatment protocol conducted in our lab by Dr. Shu-xin Zhang, (M.D., Ph.D.), SCS research has now reached a new and exciting plateau in our labs 14 year history: the need, opportunity, and ability to move this tremendous and ground-breaking work into human trials.?
    ?Both the SCS staff, and the research team are right now actively searching for ideal medical research partners to take our work and move it forward toward FDA trials. The goal?as it always has been--is to finally achieve a real cure for humans with chronic spinal cord injury.?
    Janssen further stated he expects to be able to announce next steps in this treatment development process, and a partner to go forward into human research and trials, within several weeks.
    The Spinal Cord Society, founded in 1978, pursues the goal of finding a cure for chronic spinal cord injuries. SCS is headquartered in Fergus Falls, MN.

I have been following them and get their newsletter. Thank you for this ...going to look for further info
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

This is really interesting, it's great that they combined it with stem cell therapy and TANES (is that similar to the spinal stimulator the four guys were in?)I'm really excited about this because it seems that chondroitinase isn't turning out to be as promising as we hoped. I just wish that that polymer gel to keep the cells safe and focused on the injury site was this close to human trials. My opinion that is a key player in major recovery after spinal cord injury.

Recently they developed a noninvasive technique, tail nerve electrical stimulation (TANES), which can induce positive hind limb movement of SCI rats. The purpose of this study is to introduce the novel technique and examine the effect of TANES on CPG activation. A 25 mm contusion injury was produced at spinal cord T10 of female, adult Long-Evans rats by using the NYU impactor device. Rats received TANES ( approximately 40 mA at 4 kHz) 7 weeks after injury. During TANES all injured rats demonstrated active body weight-supported stepping of hind limbs with left-right alternation and occasional front-hind coordination, resulting in significant, temporary increase in BBB scores (p<0.01). However, there is no response to TANES from rats with L2 transection, consistent with other reports that the CPG may be located at L1-2. S1 transection negatively implies the key role of TANES in CPG activation. The TANES not only renders paralyzed rats with a technique-induced ability to walk via activating CPG, but also is likely to be used for locomotor training. Essentially this TANES device is transcutaneous stimulation.

This is the group that suggests photo ablation of the scar material via rose bengal. They haven't decided on a particular cell type the last I knew. They were working with Dr. Ann Parr and trying to figure all of that out. It used to be oligo's and then they wanted to investigate neural stem cells...

(Scaffolding isn't a new phenomena. Multiple Universities and Biotech companies are working with different formulas and have been for many years).