Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: upgrading from XP

  1. #1
    Senior Member alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    6,717

    upgrading from XP

    Well, apparently at the time has come for this limited knowledge person to upgrade from Windows XP. Apparently, I have no simple upgrade path that will save my data, whether to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. So, any recommendations on which way I should go, and how to save my data so I can copy it back to my new set up, whichever turns out to be?

    Thank you
    Alan

    Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

  2. #2
    Senior Member willingtocope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pleasant Hill Iowa
    Posts
    1,097
    Good luck! Been there...done that...got screwed...without a happy ending.

    Both Win 7 and Win 8-8.1 install/upgrades have built in mechanisms for copying your data off to a safe location (preferably an external drive) but neither transfer programs. If you want to move, say, Quicken from XP to Win 8.1, you'll need to find your original install CD and install Quicken in Win 8.1 and then copy the data back. With me...TurboTax also.

    The other neat surprise waiting for you in Win 8.1 is Internet Explorer 11. Microsoft decided to be a little more W3W compliant...so now, some features on websites you know and love no longer work.

    Do I sound bitter?

    Anyway, I went from Vista to 8.1 on this machine. I don't really like the minimalist tablet friendly interface. I'm going to try to take my XP machine to win 7...oh...yeah...first I'll have to see if that machine has enough horsepower to upgrade at all. The reason its still running XP is that Vista found it lacking.

  3. #3
    Microsoft will end support for Windows XP on April 8, 2014. This means that there will be no more security updates for XP. If you like Windows XP, I recommend Windows 7.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

    Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member cbdives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Posts
    223
    I have a new computer with 8.1...It's tricky...I'm almost ready to migrate my stuff from the old computer to the new. With 8.1 you just have change your thinking process

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Whately, MA United States
    Posts
    2,685
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by cbdives View Post
    I have a new computer with 8.1...It's tricky...I'm almost ready to migrate my stuff from the old computer to the new. With 8.1 you just have change your thinking process
    Actually, if you are using a desktop computer, you can buy Start8 for $4.95, and Win8.1 will be a lot like Win 7, and I feel it is a more stable system.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

  6. #6
    Senior Member alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    6,717
    I'll be going to Windows 7. I've been trying to read up on the process. I downloaded the Windows Easy Transfer app, and ran the Win 7 upgrade advisor.

    I haven't found how to save my e-mails and passwords in Firefox and Seamonkey.
    Alan

    Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Sue Pendleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Wisconsin USA
    Posts
    11,007
    Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    Microsoft will end support for Windows XP on April 8, 2014. This means that there will be no more security updates for XP. If you like Windows XP, I recommend Windows 7.
    The late news had a lovely parting shot to this news. Most ATMs are running WINXP if they are in stores and bars. I'm heading toward another, lighter laptop that will have 8.1. Been a Dell fan since IBM quit making American machines. This one needs a new Video BIOS chip and warranty dies tomorrow. It is about 5 years old so right after taxes...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

  8. #8
    I just got a new laptop with windows 8. I actually kind of like it. It is easy enough to get to a windows 7 like desktop and the touch screen stuff is nice if you are just browsing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    The late news had a lovely parting shot to this news. Most ATMs are running WINXP if they are in stores and bars. I'm heading toward another, lighter laptop that will have 8.1. Been a Dell fan since IBM quit making American machines. This one needs a new Video BIOS chip and warranty dies tomorrow. It is about 5 years old so right after taxes...

  9. #9
    Super Moderator Sue Pendleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Wisconsin USA
    Posts
    11,007
    Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I just got a new laptop with windows 8. I actually kind of like it. It is easy enough to get to a windows 7 like desktop and the touch screen stuff is nice if you are just browsing.
    If the desk top is closer to a MAC that's not a problem. The spouse has a iPad now and I've used it for checking email and taking notes when traveling. Did you get a Dell or ? And then I will take the hard drive out of the ancient back up Dell and go see how that HD crusher/degauser machine works the next time the UW has a free community day.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

  10. #10
    I don't like dell laptops. I got a thinkpad X1 carbon, 2.8 pounds 2560x1440 screen resolution, 500gb ssd. I travel quite a bit and for size/weight/power you can't beat it. As for tablets I have a Kindle HDX, I am not a big fan of iPads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    If the desk top is closer to a MAC that's not a problem. The spouse has a iPad now and I've used it for checking email and taking notes when traveling. Did you get a Dell or ? And then I will take the hard drive out of the ancient back up Dell and go see how that HD crusher/degauser machine works the next time the UW has a free community day.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 10:25 PM
  2. Upgrading to larger wheels
    By mutton in forum Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 12:27 PM
  3. Upgrading computer wee~
    By mr_coffee in forum Computers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 07:38 PM
  4. Upgrading Video Card for PC
    By CowboyCrip in forum Computers
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-08-2008, 12:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •