Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just a thought...curious to know your opinion!

I would and have done it. You need to have a backup chair. I have a quickie Q7 and I love it. It's fully adjustable and has many options. I'm not sure if you can get the power assist. I have a pair of eMotion that I had on my Colors Eclipse. I'm back down to using fully manual wheels now but I'm about to head back into a power chair for a little bit to help heal up a sore. My batteries are completely dead and I can't get them fixed until next month but it's okay, I really enjoyed pushing myself even though I'm not perfect at it.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I have a SmartDrive covered by Medicare, they actually gave me a hard time because I was getting the unit without getting the chair with it. My DME said approval would have been quicker had they both been purchased together. Expect some problems if you have purchased your power chair within whatever normal time limit your insurance sets for chair purchase, however, you should have less problem than if you were requesting another power chair. A good DME will help a lot, mine sent me to an OT who did a thorough eval which pitched my need for the unit in the house as Medicare does not care even a bit how you function outside your front door.
    I purchased my C500 3 years ago and my insurance says they will cover a new one every 3 years. I was thinking that if I get both the chair plus the ZX-1 at the same time they would cover it. Especially since it's not going to be any where near the cost of a full on powerchair!!

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    The ZRA is a more adjustable chair than the TR. In a few years, when you know what works best for you by tweaking the ZRA, you could use those measurement to go to a TR. You could also go for an Icon, and not worry about not being able to adjust it
    That's good to know! I'll take a look at the Icon but I really like the look of the TiLite so it may be tough to persuade me lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I would and have done it. You need to have a backup chair. I have a quickie Q7 and I love it. It's fully adjustable and has many options. I'm not sure if you can get the power assist. I have a pair of eMotion that I had on my Colors Eclipse. I'm back down to using fully manual wheels now but I'm about to head back into a power chair for a little bit to help heal up a sore. My batteries are completely dead and I can't get them fixed until next month but it's okay, I really enjoyed pushing myself even though I'm not perfect at it.
    I have tested a pair of emotions several years ago and they seemed to work ok and I'm sure they have only gotten better. So it may be worth me looking into!

I got my zx1 a year ago. It was invented by a quad and I found out about it just when Spinergy bought it and started production, so I had to wait quite a while for it. I'm polio para, shoulders are shot for any pushing outdoors, and use it occasionally indoors.
    If you go the Medicare/insurance route, be sure you start a list of how you will use it INDOORS. They don't deal with oudoor needs!
    For instance, I have a hard time transferring into my older power chair. Transferring into manual, rigid frame chair in morning is easier, then connecting to zx1.
    ZX1 fits around my house much better than large power chair, as the profile of it is practically the same as the manual wheelchair! Such as, maneuvering in bathroom, at sink, in kitchen, bedroom.
    If one is capable of pushing manual chair in home, the zx1 is easily doffed for a bit of exercise.
    In tight spots at dentist, doctor's office, it can be, again, removed in a snap.
    However, give some thought to transportation (again Medicare doesn't care about this), as zx1 weighs about 70 pounds. I use a full size van with a lift as we are a two-wheeler couple.
    My motto is: "You can't have too much equipment if you have a disability!" It's like buying a new pair of shoes.

My husband who has severe hemipresis has a TiLite ZRA with a ZX-1. Both he and I are really happy with it. He likes the independence it gives him when he needs power, but likes having the lightweight manual chair without power when inside our home. I like it so I don't need to push him, and that I can do other things like walk the dogs, do shopping, etc. I would highly recommend the ZRA/ZX-1 setup and also think the FreeWheel is a good add-on to make the ride less bumpy on the front casters. One of these days soon I plan to write a full review, but feel free to ask any questions you may have. Here are few posts about it on the forum:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...-owners-thread
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...on-Adjustments
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...-1+adjustments
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).