Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a thought...curious to know your opinion!

Just a thought...curious to know your opinion!

Hello all, I'm a C5 quad that currently uses the Permoil C500. I have been in a power chair the whole time I've been hurt (11 years) however, I have been thinking about getting a new TiLite manual chair with the Spinergy ZX-1 added to it. The reason I've been thinking about it is because I love the "compactness" of the manual chair versus the powerchair plus it's 10 times lighter. I was just curious to know what you guys/gals thought of my thought?!!

Thanks,

Jeffrey

i'd say go for it. finding ways to move yourself around with less equipment has to be good. tons of great info in the cad repository on ideas for a chair layout. manual chairs are super light now. ergo seats, deep support backs, sticky grips, tires that inflate to 140psi, all this stuff has made it much easier (for me) to get around with a manual chair. that zx-1 looks amazing too.

I think that is a good option especially if you still have the Permobil for some extreme situations the ZX-1 cannot handle.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

You will love the mobility, do it. Get an adjustable chair first. Folks here will help you.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks for the responses! I have been looking at the TR/TRA VS ZR/ZRA... Obviously as stated from nonoise it would probably be best to get an adjustable one first to get the perfect setup. Which one is better the ZRA or TRA in y'alls opinion? I know the ZRA is a pound lighter but do you really notice that pound?!

The ZX-1 would be an especially good option for you if you have a van w lift. My wife loves hers. We have a full sized van w lift and have enough room just to leave the ZX-1 in back if my wife chooses not to use it. We went to our mobility dealer recently and they loved the ZX-1, had my wife zip up a minivan ramp. They thought the ZX-1 would be great for manual chair users having a difficult time getting up the minivan ramps. Spinergy should have approval soon to sell the ZX-1 w lithium battery upgrade. I would definitely get that as it should double the range.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    The ZX-1 would be an especially good option for you if you have a van w lift. My wife loves hers. We have a full sized van w lift and have enough room just to leave the ZX-1 in back if my wife chooses not to use it. We went to our mobility dealer recently and they loved the ZX-1, had my wife zip up a minivan ramp. They thought the ZX-1 would be great for manual chair users having a difficult time getting up the minivan ramps. Spinergy should have approval soon to sell the ZX-1 w lithium battery upgrade. I would definitely get that as it should double the range.
    Yea I'm definitely thinking about it...do you know if insurance would cover it when I get the new TiLite? Kind of bundle it all together?!

Quote Originally Posted by mxracer86 View Post
    Yea I'm definitely thinking about it...do you know if insurance would cover it when I get the new TiLite? Kind of bundle it all together?!
    I have a SmartDrive covered by Medicare, they actually gave me a hard time because I was getting the unit without getting the chair with it. My DME said approval would have been quicker had they both been purchased together. Expect some problems if you have purchased your power chair within whatever normal time limit your insurance sets for chair purchase, however, you should have less problem than if you were requesting another power chair. A good DME will help a lot, mine sent me to an OT who did a thorough eval which pitched my need for the unit in the house as Medicare does not care even a bit how you function outside your front door.

Blog Entries
    The ZRA is a more adjustable chair than the TR. In a few years, when you know what works best for you by tweaking the ZRA, you could use those measurement to go to a TR. You could also go for an Icon, and not worry about not being able to adjust it
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I don't believe you can use the ZX1 with an Icon yet, only the Smart Drive.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.