Thread: Getting harder to work, in $$ difficulties. ideas?

Getting harder to work, in $$ difficulties. ideas?

I'm 62 Cauda Equina, Spasticity ( severe spams only partially managed via IT pump), Severe Central Pain a curse with no viable treatment. Have managed to work, but my performance is slipping, in sales now, great history of performance.

the SCI is just taking too much, the doctors, the pain, lack of sleep. Not even sure what I'm asking for but what to do? Could go on SSI disability but honestly I'm broke barely
    hanging on. There is no insurance settlement to help. Live in CT incredibly expensive place to live, wife seems to not really understand, just "get a better job". We have young grandchildren in town, she'll never move either for my health, get out of the cruel NE climate, or $$ because of the grandchildren and also feels she's to old to fit in at a new place.

How do you all manage this type of transition? Upset, nervous which exacerbates the already intolerable pain.

Borders on a whine, apologies, but are there any ideas out there?

kindly,

ket

Check the SSA web site for both SSDI and early SS. Remember that taking early SS you will not have Medicare coverage until 65 and with SSDI Medicare kicks in 24 months after your disability claim is awarded. Then look at your current salary and benefits and how much you spend on commuting, lunches, work clothing, etc. Let the wife know that "till death do us part" does not include college tuition for kids or grand kids. And can you down size in CT or would someplace on a beach where friends vacation work? Many taxes are a lot less or non-existent a few blocks from the sand in NC or Florida. In Florida a quad pays no property taxes and a para only half if that is added when you buy a home. You'll still get some municipal taxes that are laughable compared to CT. Add a guest room or two for family and friends to visit. Once grand kids get to a certain age most prefer the beach to grandma's these days.

Maybe suggest your wife accompany you on your next neuro consult. My MIL was in complete denial over how bad my FIL's emphysema was even when he started carrying oxygen everywhere. She may just need a wake up call.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Agree with Sue that it may help to do an inventory of your current expenses needed to work. Check pension/benefits. Might help if you meet with a rep. from Social Security to find out more about eligibilty requirements for number of work quarters. They might be able to tell you an estimated monthly SSDI amount for your situation, if you would qualify. Note that SSI is for disabled who are low income/assets. SSDI is for those disabled who have enough work record.
    Once you do all these calculations you'll see what your estimated retirement monthly income would be. It may even surprise you.

Have you also considered any aspect of your job that could be done from home?
    It's good to check into these things so that you can begin to feel better and have a healthy retirement.

Does your wife work? Could she get health insurance for the two of you through her job?

Many states (like IA, where I'm at) have vocational rehab departments that offer goods and services intended to keep people working. No idea what they offer in CT.

And, another thought...if you can continue to work at your present job, but need to cut back a little...you might run some calculations to see if taking your full SS now (in addition to your job) makes sense. At 62, your monthly benefits will be reduced for the rest of your life, but it might make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by willingtocope View Post
    Many states (like IA, where I'm at) have vocational rehab departments that offer goods and services intended to keep people working. No idea what they offer in CT.

And, another thought...if you can continue to work at your present job, but need to cut back a little...you might run some calculations to see if taking your full SS now (in addition to your job) makes sense. At 62, your monthly benefits will be reduced for the rest of your life, but it might make sense.
    My understanding is that if one qualifies for SSDI, no, the benefit amount is NOT reduced if the disabled person retires early. Yes, if a non-disabled person retires early.
    Yes, good idea to contact vocational rehab. if one plans to stay at work as services aimed at 'retaining' employment may be available.

Blog Entries
    I went on SSDI, and when I reached 65, was automatically moved to SS with full benefits.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury