Thread: better wheelchair access on airlines

better wheelchair access on airlines

now here is an interesting concept that is realistic. first i'll link a cnn report (note the designer states you can't just tie a wheelchair down), then i'll link a video. this concept fascinates me and i will try to contact the engineers behind this design for more details.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2....ravel.cnn.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q1LwAvdTXY

what do you think?

Watch those casters swivel like magic. I wonder if they actually have anything that work that good. Robotic Omni wheels are what would work and why they were invented so that 90 degree turns could be done.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

It talks about independence, how do you move it? Is it powered? It still looks like you need to have someone push you.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Someone has to push you, and you still have to transfer through that tiny bathroom doorway on most airplanes to be able to use the toilet. An improvement on the current one though. Would have to allow someone to use it with their own cushion though.

(KLD)

I think the fact that something is being done is a step in the right direction. Sadly though, when leaving my native Ireland on an Aer Lingus flight back to the States in 2005, I was nearly ejected from the plane before takeoff as the very absurd "health and safety" laws didn't permit a flight attendant to push me the 8' to the toilet. I must add that when I first boarded the plane, I was proud to see that my nations airline was the first I'd seen with a wide toilet door! Now a days I have cut my air travel by 75%, not something I want to do but the airports and airlines have gotten so bad for disabled fliers, it can ruin a trip!

more info here. most of what has been mentioned in comments so far are addressed there. wheels are 360 degree pivoting, cushion is removable so one's own cushion can be easily used, transfer to the chair can be done at several points before boarding, it does need to be pushed (i can't see how it could be motorized), etc. i'll let you know if i get in touch with these designers. i have one key question for them: how does the latching system from wheelchair portion to permanent portion work exactly? it will need testing and certification.

http://www.dezeen.com/2012/08/23/air...riestmangoode/
    Last edited by cass; 09-23-2014 at 06:38 PM.

This was in the comment section of the above link: "Among the winners was an invention that could make in-flight lavatories larger, cleaner places from a German company called Dasell Cabin Interior.
    The new concept provides a bigger toilet and additional facilities such as a urinal or changing room by using cabin space only needed for boarding - during flight, the standard lavatory can be expanded by the cabin crew and then contracted for landing."
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    This was in the comment section of the above link: "Among the winners was an invention that could make in-flight lavatories larger, cleaner places from a German company called Dasell Cabin Interior.
    The new concept provides a bigger toilet and additional facilities such as a urinal or changing room by using cabin space only needed for boarding - during flight, the standard lavatory can be expanded by the cabin crew and then contracted for landing."
    That sounds pretty trick Airlines can't bitch about valuable seating space being used up. I wonder how long it would be before we saw this style of restroom on planes on a regular basis ?!?!

While it's a great idea, it may take very long to implement on a wide-scale basis. Airplanes have a very long useful life. Most planes in the states here have ashtrays even though smoking hasn't been allowed for nearly thirty years. It's good to see progress, though without legislation, it may take many decades to really see this progress widely used.

I've never used the bathroom on a flight and doubt I could. I've flown domestically but never internationally as it would be an issue. I wish the ostomy companies would make larger bags just for airline travel. I've thought about a duct tape solution to make a larger ostomy bag for international flights.

I think it's a great idea.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child