Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightshift

Question Nightshift

Because my wife needed a good nights sleep and she wouldn't be getting that with me having c.diff diarrhea and needing to be cleaned up quite frequently, we called in one of my aid's to stay overnight.
    When she agreed to it we didn't discuss the matter of payment.
    I feel she should be getting more than her regular pay? Would time and a half be fair? Or should it be more considering it is also a weekend?
    There's always something magic, there's always something true. And when you really, really need it the most, that's when rock 'n roll dreams come true. Meat Loaf

If it is overtime then time and a half but if not then maybe a 30 or 40 cent per hour increase for shift differential is what they would get in a hospital for such hours.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

I keep the same pay scale whether it's day or night. Night shifts are usually a lot less busy. They suit some people better.

IMHO: If I was your wife ( don't shudder ) and i got a good night's sleep while someone else cleaned C-Diff stool, I'd want you to slip that aid some extra cash and say "thank you ". You may need this person's help again sometime.

Thanks for the answers.
    Nightshifts are not part of the regular shifts for my aid's. Though the hours she worked for me last night weren't overtime as the hours she works for don't add up to fulltime emplyoment.
    We for sure appreciate her doing this for us. We don't take extra things like that for granted. And there will be a thank you other than extra pay.
    I just wanted to get a general idea of what would be fair concering pay.
    There's always something magic, there's always something true. And when you really, really need it the most, that's when rock 'n roll dreams come true. Meat Loaf

At that point then i would think it would be up to you and your wife on how much to compensate him/her on how much your wife needed that extra sleep. In general however i think differential pay is in ny anyway 30 to 40 cents an hour extra but that may have gone up in the last 10 years, since i have worked. Do you and your wife sleep in the same bed? If so wouldn't she be up anyway?
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    Do you and your wife sleep in the same bed? If so wouldn't she be up anyway?
    Generally we sleep together, though not one single bed. Last night she moved to our spare bedroom so she would get to sleep through the night.

May I ask Taanshi79 how you got the c diff? heard of it. Want to avoid. Sounds horrible. Good luck and speedy recovery to you.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyCrip View Post
    May I ask Taanshi79 how you got the c diff? heard of it. Want to avoid. Sounds horrible. Good luck and speedy recovery to you.
    You know, I'm not really sure where I picked it up exactly. Possibly my last hosiptal stay, though that was over a month ago. Another possibilty is one of my aid's, she also works in a carehome and could have unknowingly spread it to me. For that matter just about anybody could have for all I know if I understood right what I read about how it's spread online. What I know for sure is that I started to get sick whenI was put on antibiotics to treat a infection on my foot.

While c. diff. can be spread by poor hand washing by caregivers and in hospitals, it is also present in most peoples' intestines, ready to create what is called an opportunistic infection when the good bacteria in your gut are killed off by a lot of antibiotics.

(KLD)