Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new nonstop spasms 43 yrs post

new nonstop spasms 43 yrs post

My spouse is experiencing nonstop spasms, 30sec spasm, 13 sec relax average flexor. He has good rom. He's been to the dr. Had tests, meds but they can't find a reason. Started 4 years ago. Would last a couple of weeks then go away. Happened more and more until now, since January, he's had maybe 8 weeks spasm free. No syrinx. Dr hasn't seen this type of unremitten spasms. BP high. Anyone else experience this?

Has everything gastrointestinal and urinary been ruled out? That's the first thing to check. Urodynamics study? Stones?
    And the truth shall set you free.

Marie2,

It's nice to meet you.

Agree with NoDecafPlz recs for the SCI spasm related basics.

There are a number of medical and neurologic conditions that can cause muscle spasms/twitching independent of those due to SCI. Some of these become more prevalent as the aging process goes along. A referral to a Neurologist at your local academic teaching hospital ( University of Washington affiliates ? ) would be a place to start. I haven't read all your posts so I don't know if you've already taken this path.

2drwhofans and NoDecafPlz,

nice to meet you too. How do you like the new dr?

Kub, x-ray, ct w and w/o contrast. He has an annual eval at the SCI clinic VA. Another ultrasound as soon as they set up appt. If the baclofen
    doesn't work and US is clear then they'll admit for a week to observe and rule out.

I come here because there is so much cumulative experience. We thought it was aging etc but the dr said no b/c of the AD...sweats and high BP no headache. So, we research and quess and have not found the noxious stimuli.

Ken is c6, fused at 5,6,7 c4 has slipped over c4.

So it's flat out frustrating!
    "We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us."~~Sartre

Re: "c4 has slipped over c4."
    Assume you meant C4 over C5. Ask if there is significant stenosis ( narrowing of the central spinal canal ) at
    that level?
    No, aging alone doesn't cause these symptoms but he has to be looked at in the comprehensive picture. If he were an older, AB person with these symptoms, he'd see a Neurologist. If nothing is found and they admit him, gently suggest it.

We're warming up to the new Doctor. My husband more so that I. Fans for decades though so we continue to Tivo.

Have you looked at the positioning in the wheelchair? That would Not explain them when he is in Thebes, but it is worth a shot. Also, ingrown toenails, clothes too tight. I know these are long shots, but it is worth looking at. He probably needs a Good thorough check out. Remember that anything that would fuse pain, could be the trigger for spasms. That leaves a lot of things to check out.
    hang in there!
    ckf

You are right, I meant c4 over 5 the neuro didn't push one way or the other. He said he'd have complications both ways with no garantee that it would make any significant change. No significant stenosis, ossification in the left hip...the bone growing in the muscle thing. A few other minor issues. It's not pain per se as the pain meds didn't make a change.
    Well maybe the ultrasound will show something.
    We saw the first show so we're waiting to see more.
    "We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us."~~Sartre

SCI nurse, the meds are working better and he is staying out of the chair today. The spasms caused some swelling and bruising in his back inspite of the extra padding. He told me me today when we were talking about the bruising and swelling from the spasm slamming him back that the spasms only relaxed when he "made" them meaning pulled up on the arm strap he uses to hold himself forward or to bend forward. So if he is in a ridged extensor all the time what's that? We've checked all the usual including timing such as after meals etc. He's lost weight thinking it was that.

Pain meds may not effect spasticity. In effect, usually they don't. However, spasms are the body's way of letting you know something is wrong. This is especially true when there is a sudden change in the level of spasticity.
    Rigid extension provides the nervous system with input in the opposite direction, causing the spasms to relax. Th nervous system can only take so much input.

I hope this males sense.

Good luck and let us know what they find out.

CKF

Thank you and I will.