Thread: Respite care

Respite care

My primary live in PCA is wanting / needing to get away for a couple weeks. With a service connected SCI (c5), I could stay at a VA SCI center for that time but the closest one is 95 to 100 miles from my house in another state. Would VA pay to stay at a local respite care center for a couple weeks?

Just checking out options, thanks!

yoda

You should check with your local VA SCI spoke Clinic Coordinator (social worker). Respite is supposed to be provided for SCI veterans through their home VA, not at their VA hub center. This can be done either though a respite stay in the local CLC (Community Living Center) or by fee-basis to a community nursing home. Respite is granted for up to 2 weeks at a time, up to twice a year. You should also be able to get information about this from your PVA NSO.

(KLD)

Thank you KLD

It would be in January and I don't want to do it that far from home. I'll check with PVA NSO

Where is your local/home VA??

(KLD)

[QUOTE=SCI-Nurse;1746636]Where is your local/home VA??

(KLD)[/QUOT

I'm in PA, use Allentown VA clinic and Wilkes Barre VS

Yoda

Well, there does not appear to be a VA Support clinic at Allentown (is that a CBOC)?? You should be getting your regular day-to-day care at a SCI Support clinic; there is one at Wilkes-Barre:

http://www.sci.va.gov/Primary_Care_Teams.asp

Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center
    SCI Clinic
    1111 East End Blvd.
    Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711
    Phone: (570) 824-3521/(877)928-2621

Call this number and ask to speak to the social worker about respite care.

(KLD)

[QUOTE=SCI-Nurse;1746652]Well, there does not appear to be a VA Support clinic at Allentown (is that a CBOC)?? You should be getting your regular day-to-day care at a SCI Support clinic; there is one at Wilkes-Barre:

THANK you KLD, you been helpful! I'll let you know what I find out. I am 80 miles from Wilkes Barre so I don't get there often. I know the social worker there, good man!

Yoda