Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adaptive Equipment that Doesn't Exist for Spinal Cord Injury

Corn shucker. But, I guess everyone could use that.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    Corn shucker. But, I guess everyone could use that.
    Cook the corn shucked, then cut off the base & squeeze it out.

I vote for an ice cream scoop that scoops by itself, or at least makes scooping hard ice cream really easy.
    Putting your dipper in a cup with boiling water before you scoop makes it a little easier because the heat helps melt the ice cream a bit. It works with metal scoopers, I'm not sure about plastic.

If you want something really hard, I really could use a freezer organizing system. One that helps you fill up the freezer, but still makes it easy to get things in and out. Stuff seems to get piled on top of one another and it is difficult to get to the stuff underneath. And frozen foods are HARD and slippery, so pulling one thing out tend to make a lot of thing fall out. And once they are hard like that, trying to put them back in without them sliding back out is a PITA. My freezer door is often open for MANY minutes for something that just should have been a few seconds.
    Getting stuff out of the freezer was always a big frustration with me. Some stuff in bags and other mush-mashed size containers made it always a disorganized mess. Stuff would fall to the bottom and if I didn't see it it would never get used so I wasted a lot of food too.

What I've done to manage my freezer is organize it by putting stuff in clear plastic shoe box size storage containers so it is easy for me to pull out. I can fit about four of them in my freezer. I have one for chicken; another for veggies (I break down a big bag into portions and put a portion in the zipper lock plastic bags); another for fruit that I use in smoothies and one for bread.

I'm anal enough that I even label the boxes because at any given time I have 2-3 different caregivers that will just throw the food anywhere if I don't have a system.

Sometimes I'll buy a big bag of chicken breasts and dump them in the clear container - BUT- to make it easier to take one or two breasts when you need them, make sure to separate them with a piece of wax paper or something so you don't have a 5-pound frozen chicken cube.

I also have my caregiver chop up half the breasts into bite-sized pieces (its easier to do when the chicken is a bit frozen) and put them in smaller sandwich size clear containers. It makes it real convenient for me to whip up a stir fry by adding some veggies and some stir fry sauce (Trader Joe's makes a good one). Steam some rice in a rice pot and you have a nice dinner. Also, you don't have to waste time trying to cut your cooked chicken breast while the rest of your food gets cold.

Here's another idea. A really easy to hold and use rubber spatula. When I am baking, it is a PITA to scrape the batter out of the mixing bowl. So, here's the thing. Think of anything you do that REALLY takes two hands. In this case, holding the bowl and holding the spatula. We tend to use both hands to do only one of those things, because we don't have the grip for each hand to hold each thing independently. So we figure out ways to maybe have something also hold one of the things, while we use both hands for the other. But, scraping a bowl is an example of when that doesn't work too well, because both items need to be in motion. If you think through all the cooking tasks, you will probably come up with other examples of when two hands are both being used in a coordinated way (hey that ice cream scoop is nearly the same thing, only because ice cream can get hard). When you think of something, then ask on here and we'll respond with whether we've solved that already, or not.
    My first response as a solution is to getting cake batter out of a bowl is to stick your face in and lick it out - that's what leftover batter is to me. (Lol). Seriously though, you can find a few options to assist you by looking under adaptions for one-handed cooking.

There is a device that will hold your bowl in one place and even allow it to tip without you even lifting it up.

Another is a great line of bowls and kitchen tools by OXO. This is a nice bowl that is anti-slide and easy to pick up.

Name:  Cursor_and_CHEFS_Catalog_-_OXO_Good_Grips_3-Qt____5-Qt__Mixing_Bowl_customer_reviews_-_product_r.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  378.9 KB

Oh, I know, shelling shellfish. Crabs, or shucking oysters, etc. Shelling lobsters, yum.
    Oh man, if anyone has a solution for shelling shellfish, please respond! I soooo miss not being able to do this. Part of the fun in eating crab and lobster is getting the meat by yourself.

Bread Kneader

A really good dough kneader. Does one already exist? I'm not talking about the dough hooks. I mean real bread kneading. I mean a real strong c-7 might be able to, but since we really can't apply body weight AND use both hands, it's hard to be an effective kneader.
    Kneading bread could probably be worked into a strength building physical therapy routine (lol).

Or, you break down and let a machine do it . . .

Name:  kmix.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  25.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Cook the corn shucked, then cut off the base & squeeze it out.
    Tried that. One, it's really hard to cut the base off through all the husk and two, when it is really hot, it is hard to squeeze out. If you wait for it to not be hot, then, you know, it's not hot. But, really, the main part was cutting, and even the squeezing part didn't work out so well. I think all the hairs/strings prevented the husks from just sliding off, as shown in the video. Perhaps there is a particular variety that this works well with.
    Last edited by Kulea; 09-22-2014 at 01:06 AM.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Doll View Post
    What I've done to manage my freezer is organize it by putting stuff in clear plastic shoe box size storage containers so it is easy for me to pull out. I can fit about four of them in my freezer. I have one for chicken; another for veggies (I break down a big bag into portions and put a portion in the zipper lock plastic bags); another for fruit that I use in smoothies and one for bread.
    Hmm, organizing all that Costco food into separate containers? Sounds like a lot of work for a generally disorganized guy. But I should try to do some things into containers. Of course, on Costco day, I can barely fit everything into my freezer. I'm not sure how all the containers would affect that. Four definitely won't do. I would need like 10 if I'm organizing. But 10 won't fit. Smoothie fruit alone takes up about 1/3 of the freezer. Do you put the lids on them?
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Doll View Post

Another is a great line of bowls and kitchen tools by OXO. This is a nice bowl that is anti-slide and easy to pick up.
    I don't think that will work with my Kitchenaid mixer. I'll look into the one-handed adaptations, but the last time I looked, I never found anything that would really work well.
    Last edited by Kulea; 09-22-2014 at 01:07 AM.
    C-6/7 incomplete