Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adaptive Equipment that Doesn't Exist for Spinal Cord Injury

Adaptive Equipment that Doesn't Exist for Spinal Cord Injury

I have to make an adaptive equipment for a spinal cord injury for a complete C7. But I have to make something that does NOT exist yet.

I am at a complete loss. It has to help for meal prep, or face self care.

Any ideas?

As a C-7 male quad there is nothing I need for shaving or washing my face. For cooking I could use an onion peeler. Getting those slippery dry skins off is a challenge. I have seen apple peelers but they do not work with onions. I assume this is an engineering or O.T. project.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Of what kind of device/equipment are you thinking? I am C7 and T7 incomplete by TM/MS. I use the microwave to prepare frozen foods. I have limited finger function and intention tremors, but I manage (I can grip). I have also created or adapted many devices to assist me. I avoid using sharp tools.

I'd love to help. Again, with what specifically do you want help? What foods do you want to prepare & eat?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Hot meal and Cold meal prep. Anything that could assist in making soup, biscuits, or pouring water from a pitcher, setting the table, handling utensils, using the microwave, stove and oven.

or anything to help make a sandwhich (such as peanut butter and jelly).

Is this to fulfill an actual need or for a class project?

Can you hold and manipulate a table knife? Spreadable food is typically much friendlier at room temperature Check your food labels to see what can be left out of the fridge. Peanut butter is soooo much easier to spread at room temp!!

Soup = canned, can opener (or tabbed can, pop tab with spoon) and microwave safe bowl.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 524
Size:  16.4 KB

I avoid stove/oven use, sorry, no help there.
    Locate microwave low enough to reach in easily from your chair. Can you operate the controls and door if they're within reach? I often use a cafeteria tray on my lap to transport food so my hands are free.
    Biscuits
    Quad Cuff if you cannot grip.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Is this to fulfill an actual need or for a class project?
    Thanks for this question . . . I forgot to filter
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by Stacia View Post
    I have to make an adaptive equipment for a spinal cord injury for a complete C7. But I have to make something that does NOT exist yet.

I am at a complete loss. It has to help for meal prep, or face self care.

Any ideas?
    Is this a school assignment? Are you limited to only those functional areas? Are you an OT student? Rehab engineering student??

If you are not limited, then a big need in this area is for a device to insert and use and Enemeez (mini-enema).

I really can't think of anything for cooking or grooming for a C7 that does not already exist. Many people at that level of injury don't use any adaptive equipment for those functions at all. Now if you are talking C6, that might be different. Does grooming include make-up application for a female? Eye liner and mascera can be a challenge.

(KLD)

It's a school assignment, i am an OT student.

Grooming would be applying deodorant, shaving the face, combing hair and brushing teeth.

It's suppose to be for a "patient" with a C7 complete SCI, and I have to focus on meal prep and grooming.

I was thinking of something to open a can easier, but other than that I am stuck.