Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wheelchair van rental close to the seattle airport

If you take the light rail from the airport downtown, consider taking a pedestrian ride (accessible) on one of the ferries servicing the islands out in the Sound. You can just ride in the ferry, and see nice views of the city and if it is clear, the mountains as well.

Also, the free bus that runs around the downtown area is accessible.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If you take the light rail from the airport downtown, consider taking a pedestrian ride (accessible) on one of the ferries servicing the islands out in the Sound. You can just ride in the ferry, and see nice views of the city and if it is clear, the mountains as well.

Also, the free bus that runs around the downtown area is accessible.

(KLD)
    thanks don't know if ant will want to go on a boat with open hole in his throat and all and the access onto the ferry has to be level at all costs no bouncing up and down from pier. we have decided to take the light rail to downtown after the conference and stay there for 2 nights so can walk to stuff or metro/bus, thanks for the free bus info.
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

Either the Bainbridge Island or Bremerton ferrys are not little boats...they are big ships. There are ramped entrances to the top deck (enclosed) at the pier. Less jostling that you would have getting on and off a bus or into/out of an accessible van. Here is a picture of one of these ferries:
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  27.5 KB
    (KLD)

Unfortunately I believe the free transit zone downtown is no longer offered.
    With a power chair you should be able to get around downtown okay. To get on the ferry, there is an overhead ramp I think from first ave that people use to walk straight on the upper deck. I've never done it, so ask around. You can get a round trip and go for a boat ride. I always enjoy the ferry crossings. And try to get all the way down to the waterfront. Eat fish, chips and chowder at Ivars, (only Ivars, it is the best) outside fish bar. It has to be outside too, and it is okay to feed the seagulls.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Unfortunately I believe the free transit zone downtown is no longer offered.
    With a power chair you should be able to get around downtown okay. To get on the ferry, there is an overhead ramp I think from first ave that people use to walk straight on the upper deck. I've never done it, so ask around. You can get a round trip and go for a boat ride. I always enjoy the ferry crossings. And try to get all the way down to the waterfront. Eat fish, chips and chowder at Ivars, (only Ivars, it is the best) outside fish bar. It has to be outside too, and it is okay to feed the seagulls.
    yes you are right lots of ppl told me the free bus is gone now. No worries. That was really not a concern. Thanks about explaining on how to get on the boat. Yes we want to get down to the waterfront and OK we will look for Ivars, sounds great. Anyone know what terminal this Bainbridge ferry leaves from. Am going to call them too but sometimes getting info on here is faster
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003

The ramp to both the Bremerton and Bambridge ferry terminal begins at 1st ave and Marion St. It looks to be nearly level and ends up at the elevated dock building. From there you enter the ferry's upper deck above the cars. I called WSF who confirmed the ramp, they called it a walkway has no steps and you would have no problem accessing the ferry. Additionally they have elevators that you can use to get down to the street level, waterfront which could be much easier then other routes.

BTW, the Bremerton run, only 15 minutes longer, is more scenic then the Bambridge one as it goes around Bambridge through a channel to Bremerton. While the run to Bambridge is mostly only in open water.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

There is this listing, says they service SeaTac airport:
    http://www.wheelchairgetaways.com/
    Yes they service but at a very high pickup and drop off fee of $80 each way I believe they said. Not worth a one day rental. Thanks for checking though.
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003

The ramp to both the Bremerton and Bambridge ferry terminal begins at 1st ave and Marion St. It looks to be nearly level and ends up at the elevated dock building. From there you enter the ferry's upper deck above the cars. I called WSF who confirmed the ramp, they called it a walkway has no steps and you would have no problem accessing the ferry. Additionally they have elevators that you can use to get down to the street level, waterfront which could be much easier then other routes.

BTW, the Bremerton run, only 15 minutes longer, is more scenic then the Bambridge one as it goes around Bambridge through a channel to Bremerton. While the run to Bambridge is mostly only in open water.
    Thanks for taking the time to call! I feel this is something we could do now. I will also check out the Bambridge trip.
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003

to get from downtown (5th and Pine Westlake Center) to Seattle Center (Space Needle plus whole lotta stuff), take the monorail. fully w/c accessible. been on it many times. http://www.seattlemonorail.com/

for ferry locations and schedules http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/vess...x?terminalid=7 it's Pier 52.

for good waterfront dining Anthony's Homeport
    http://www.anthonys.com/restaurants/...thonys-pier-66
    Last edited by cass; 09-19-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Didn't know the monorail is accessible, do that. It only goes to the area called Seattle Center and returns. Seattle Center is the site of the 1962 worlds fair. You can google Seattle Center for more info: http://www.seattlecenter.com/