Thread: Virginia Beach accessibility

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Virginia Beach accessibility

Does anyone have any recommendations on accessible hotels in Virginia Beach? I will be driving down with PCA's to Florida in mid October from Massachusetts. Looking at stopping at Virginia Beach for a couple days. Has anyone made this drive from New England and have any recommendations on preferable routes? From what I heard, the bridge/tunnel can get very congested, but I think mid-October will be passed peak season. Thank you in advance!

Shamrock

I really have not been to Va beach in a while but think I can give you some good info. I've learned to cut off rt 95 early onto Rt 301 and avoid all the traffic in Washington DC and Baltimore, you might want to stay in a town called Waldorf Maryland your first night which will only be around a 8 hour drive the first day so you will not be pushing it, I stay at the Hilton Garden inn there in Waldorf which is fairly new and nice. There is also a Hampton Inn nearby, both very accessable. Just from Mass hit in Waldorf Maryland with the hotel address (google it) and that will cut you off rt 95 early and it's a nice scenic drive down rt 301 especially your second day when you head to Va Beach, you go over some nice bridges. The next day it's only around a 3 hour drive to VA Beach, here is the MapQuest http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Wald...%20Beach&2s=VA My suggestion would be to either stay at the Hilton or the Double Tree in VA beach which are both right on the Ocean and fairly reasonably priced. I've found Hilton Brand hotels to be really good as far as wheelchair access, just book a roll in shower hp room if you need it. When you leave VA beach you can make it comfortably to Georgia, either Savannah or Brunswick depended on how long drive you want and then the following day to Fla. I try not to drive much more than 10 hour days, but that's me, some people do more or less.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 09-16-2014 at 08:26 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Yeah, most of the major hotel chains have a presence at VA Beach. I'd just pick one that you're comfortable with. Staying on the beach is going to be more costly, but being right off the boardwalk is arguably worth it. As for the drive, you shouldn't have a major issue in October. Just wing it and give yourself a little bit of flexibility for stops and/or traffic.

Grommet Island is a neat little addition to the area. http://www.grommetisland.org/

Thanks for the help guys-

Curt… You've given me another option to think about, LOL. My goal is going to be to make Virginia Beach and one day. Did you used to live in Newport? For some reason I'm thinking I met you in Rhode Island. Many years ago.

Scott-thanks for the advice. I'm wondering if there would be much of a crowd around October 22? It's after Columbus Day weekend, two things quiet down about then? Also, do you have any idea how long a ride to get from Virginia Beach back to 95 S.? Thank you for your help.

Shamrock

Yes, I live near Newport R.I. Maybe we met at Shake a Leg? What is your name?
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

That must be it. I was injured in 86, C4… Must've either been at shake a leg, or Pawtucket Red Sox game, I can't remember. But I was introduced to shake a leg down in Miami, and checked out the one in Newport. Shortly after in the early 90s. My name is Dan, from North Attleboro, Massachusetts.

Blog Entries
    I enjoy watching Pawtucket playing the Tides, here at Harbor Park, regularly! Been a VB resident my whole life, and pushing a decade as a full-time wheelchair user. All the big hotels on Atlantic, Ave are accessible. The boardwalk and shopping, too. I've only run into a very few places in the whole area I've ever had any trouble with. Nothing to speak of in the tourist/ocean front district. October is a good time. Crowds have thinned out, and prices have dropped. Some business board up after the end of the tourist season, but those places generally aren't much but crap-ola tourist traps, anyway. There can be some "beach maintenance" activities going on during the fall/winter, which can block small sections of the ocean front, but rarely anything big, or major.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Oddity-thank you for your input! Any idea how long it's going to take me leaving Virginia Beach to get back on 95 S.? Also, any particular area of Atlantic Avenue you recommend for hotels/restaurants? It's going to be a short visit only a day or two.

Blog Entries
    The "main drag" along the boardwalk isn't that big, 1st - 31st St, just about anywhere is good. The street blocks are pretty small, nothing like northern cities I've been to, like Boston, or NYC. I push the length of the boardwalk without any problem. I'd pick based on quality of hotel, really. The pier is ~14th street, most of the popular local bars/hang outs are between 19h and 24th. My favorite restaurant is in the Ramada on 8th/9th, Mahi Mah's. That time of year is pretty dead, though. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of someplace interesting to stay, or eat, but frankly I just don't get the draw. Fun party town during the summer, for sure, but off season the pace slows, considerably. I live off of Shore, Dr. along the Chesapeake Bay. Atlantic Ave turns into Shore Dr as you head north, and round Cape Henry. It's a 15 minute drive from the boardwalk/Atlantic Ocean front; from my house it takes ~90 minutes to get reach the 95S interchange (in Emporia, VA) heading due west along 64W to 58W to 95S.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Thanks so much for your input!