Thread: Nerve conduction test questions

Nerve conduction test questions

I am scheduled for a nerve conduction test of my lower extremities tomorrow. The doctors are trying to figure out what I have going on, and I wish they would just diagnosis cauda equina syndrome already and be done with it!

Anyway, my left leg goes weak and funny feeling and wants to drag when I am up on it for any length of time. I have bladder and bowel problems, what feels like an electric current running in my upper right hip, and some pretty serious hip and lower back pain. I also have some sensory issues in my legs, can't tell if my toes are up or down when the doctor wiggles them, and didn't seem to have a plantar reflex.

Does the nerve conduction test show damage in the spinal area or just in the lower extremities themselves? It's it possible for there to be a spinal or nerve root problem and the nerve conduction test come back normal? My biggest fear right now is that the doctors will ultimately come back saying that they can't find anything wrong. I know, rationally, that numbness in part of my vaginal region is not normal. And neither are the bowel and bladder issues, but I am still afraid. Is that a real possibility?

Thank you for any input!

An EMG is only for testing of peripheral nerves. I suspect this is what is planned for you. In order to determine if there is damage to the cord itself, a different type of test called an SSEP (somatosensory evoke potential) would be needed.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    An EMG is only for testing of peripheral nerves. I suspect this is what is planned for you. In order to determine if there is damage to the cord itself, a different type of test called an SSEP (somatosensory evoke potential) would be needed.

(KLD)
    If a person had an EMG and it shows an acute on chronic S1 would that need further exploration for a person withcauda equina post lami decompression 2 1/2 months ago.