Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for what everyone is using for electric outdoor chairs.

Looking for what everyone is using for electric outdoor chairs.

After my last surgery my doctor wants me to get a electric chair for when I am outside. I did a search and everything is old. So what is everyone using for outdoor electric chairs? Thanks, M
    Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

I use a Quickie P-222-SE. It is rear wheel drive, has four-pole motors and can travel 8.5 MPH. I've had it since 2003 and only use it when I need to go somewhere that would be difficult in the manual. I've beat the heck out of it and has held up well. It is starting to show it's age, so I'm looking for a new one, which will most likely be another Quickie P-222-SE

Do you need a power wheelchair, or would he be satisfied with you using power assist, like e-Motion wheels or a Smart Wheel?? Do you have a way to transport a power wheelchair (van)?? What kind of surgery did you have...shoulders?

(KLD)

I use the emotion wheels on my manual and LOVE it. Since i have issues with my shoulders I can't use regular wheels. I have to admit though that my husband is always with me so when my arms get tired he pushes me. The other bad thing is that each wheel weighs 25 lbs. For me that is a problem and I can't lift them myself. Let me know if you have any questions.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    What level of outdoor do you need? Just street and sidewalks or nature trails/off-pavement types.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Do you need a power wheelchair, or would he be satisfied with you using power assist, like e-Motion wheels or a Smart Wheel?? Do you have a way to transport a power wheelchair (van)?? What kind of surgery did you have...shoulders?

(KLD)
    I have a pickup truck no van just looking to use around the property. Could load in truck if had too. I have a tear in the cuff but getting cortisone shots and just had ligaments and triceps surgery in June.

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    What level of outdoor do you need? Just street and sidewalks or nature trails/off-pavement types.
    I would like to use it on off road not really sidewalks ...would like to use for hunting if I could. The one I am renting now is mid wheel drive and gets stuck real easy.

I use an Invacare storm and an extreme 4x4.

The features I would look for are Rear wheel Drive, Ground clearance adequate to not get caught up on uneven terrain, Good suspension, wider tires , Air Tires, group 24 batteries.

Those features alone are no substitute for real world performance testing and you should demo any perspective chair on your terrain.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Some mid wheel drives do get stuck easily because the drive wheels lose traction on uneven terrain.

Innovation in Motion, www.mobility-usa.com has a couple models. The Frontier V6 is mid wheel but the suspension keeps it from becoming stuck. Tires make a big difference and even a more standard powerchair like a Quickie S-646 SE will do well with knobby tires. The Bounder at www.wheelchairs.com is an excellent off-roader but is difficult to find used. I have an older Frontier X5.

Wider tires like knobby's help a lot on side slopes because the wider stance keeps the chair from tipping over.

I prefer front wheel drive because I often need to run over or through fallen branches and front casters tend to turn sideways when encountering obstacles. Having tilt helps a lot because it allows you to adjust for slope. I would try and find a used Invacare Storm/ Ranger or one of the Quickie 626 through 646 models and put knobbys on them then fabricate some fenders for it. They can be found pretty cheap on ebay or craigslist. Deadeye and I are using Permobil C500's. I have snow tires on mine but would prefer knobby's.

My old OmegaTrac was great because it had 4'' of ground clearance with the air suspension. Ground clearance is the big problem on rough terrain.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 09-15-2014 at 06:32 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Sorry, I tend to stay on solid smooth surfaces. But, I have a AmySystem Alltrack R-HD it's a RWD. But, I really don't think of as true RWD due to ant-tippers are in contact with ground all the time but according to website that helps a lot with stability on rough terrain. You might check YouTube for vids on it. I've had this chair about 2 years so far with no complaints.
    Otherwise you might look at 21st Century Scientific I think they have outdoor model now. I've had pleasure over many years of 2 of their H-frames Big Bounders. Built like a rock and very strong motors with Group 27 batteries.

I don't know if they still make them but I use to have a Pride Mobility Jazzy 1170. It was great, had big wide knobby drive wheels and converse with comfort over most any threshold with every little roughness. I know when the parking lot/sidewalks was replaced Mama's little RWD chairs just got front casters buried in gravel and left her stuck, took 2 security guards to get her and chair back to hard surface.. My 1170 cover with no problem and never slowed up over next couple weeks before they finished the project. Mama just waited out on street til I get van over to her to load.
    "Good Luck!"