Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair Handrims

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wheelchair Handrims

Has anyone had any experience with the Q-Grip coated handrims? They have a anti-slip neoprene coating. Are they for quads? Do you burn your hands while braking like you do with the vinyl coated handrims? I have also heard of foam coated handrims. Does anyone know anything about them? Are they durable?

I think Q Grips are vastly over priced. Mine started ripping the 1st time I misjudged a doorway. One handrim's rubber coating has about 5 patches of gorilla glue holding the rubber on, quite unsightly. They are better for grip than vinyl, far less durable. I like the grip I get from them in wintry conditions when handrims are wet w snow/ice. I would love to know where I could buy the old foam coated pushrims, they had better grip than vinyl, about the same as Q grips, same durability as Q grip, 1/2 the price. Call me paranoid but as soon as the Q grips appeared the old foam at comparatively a bargain price seemed to disappear. If I can't find foam coating anywhere I plan to choose vinyl over Q grips next time.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I think Q Grips are vastly over priced. Mine started ripping the 1st time I misjudged a doorway. One handrim's rubber coating has about 5 patches of gorilla glue holding the rubber on, quite unsightly. They are better for grip than vinyl, far less durable. I like the grip I get from them in wintry conditions when handrims are wet w snow/ice. I would love to know where I could buy the old foam coated pushrims, they had better grip than vinyl, about the same as Q grips, same durability as Q grip, 1/2 the price. Call me paranoid but as soon as the Q grips appeared the old foam at comparatively a bargain price seemed to disappear. If I can't find foam coating anywhere I plan to choose vinyl over Q grips next time.
    I agree. I had a set and tore them up in less than a year.

Thanks, that's what I want to know.

That's very helpful, thanks a lot. I was hoping to find something that had a better grip than the vinyl, but didn't burn your hands on braking or get slippery when wet like the vinyl does. But, I need durability. It sounds like you like the foam coated, but they're not durable either.

Quote Originally Posted by glively View Post
    That's very helpful, thanks a lot. I was hoping to find something that had a better grip than the vinyl, but didn't burn your hands on braking or get slippery when wet like the vinyl does. But, I need durability. It sounds like you like the foam coated, but they're not durable either.
    I've found that good gloves are more helpful than fancy handrims.

I may be seeing the guy who uses that sticky spray on his handrims at tennis tonight, I'll let you know. He sprays it on his pushrims for a better grip.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

How about natural fit. I have a friend who is a quad and sprays them every now and then some tacky stuff that lasts quite a while and makes them more have more grip, I'll try and find out the name of the stuff he uses.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I pretty much push with my palms, I'm a C5 quad. I'm not sure I understand the advantage of the natural fit, but I'm definitely interested in what that tacky stuff is.

I know track athletes use Klister on their hand rims when it rains to keep their hands from slipping off. I am wondering if Curt's friend uses something similar?
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss