Thread: San Francisco travel advice

San Francisco travel advice

We have a brief upcoming trip soon. Staying near the Moscone Center. We haven't been there in years and not since his injury.

Any advice for my "what if" list including:

1. Places for wheelchair repairs if needed ( maybe a kindly bike shop? )
    2. Places for DME like extra catheters etc in case we run out. I pack plenty but like to have a back-up plan.
    3. Anybody with recent experience using the WC taxi's in SF ? Is there a company with better service?
    4. Any advice on using public transportation ? I've downloaded some schedule apps.
    5. Any access problems at the deYoung Museum?

Thanks in advance !

I have found Luxor cabs are the best for wheelchair taxies.

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    We have a brief upcoming trip soon. Staying near the Moscone Center. We haven't been there in years and not since his injury.

1. Places for wheelchair repairs if needed ( maybe a kindly bike shop? )
    2. Places for DME like extra catheters etc in case we run out. I pack plenty but like to have a back-up plan.
    3. Anybody with recent experience using the WC taxi's in SF ? Is there a company with better service?
    4. Any advice on using public transportation ? I've downloaded some schedule apps.
    5. Any access problems at the deYoung Museum?

Thanks in advance !

Thanks. I'll give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post

1. Places for wheelchair repairs if needed ( maybe a kindly bike shop? ) Wheelchairs of Berkeley, 2911 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley, CA 94705, (510) 549-8727
    2. Places for DME like extra catheters etc in case we run out. I pack plenty but like to have a back-up plan. Sorry I don't know of any. Doesn't mean they don't exist.
    3. Anybody with recent experience using the WC taxi's in SF ? Is there a company with better service? No experience, but tBurst lives in San Francisco and probably has good ideas about it.
    --Bart works great if you just need transportation up and down the Market Street corridor and to and from the airport.
    --Cable cars aren't accessible.
    --Street Cars or Trollies along Market and the Embarcadero work pretty good on off peak times, otherwise they fill up and the wheelchair access platform is after each stop, not before. This means you get last choice getting on and if the cars filled up before they get to the handicapped platform, your out of luck.

5. Any access problems at the deYoung Museum? I've been there a couple of times. No problems with access.

Thanks in advance !
    Check out these threads (some are a little old, but...)
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=san+francisco

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=san+francisco

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...+san+francisco

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...+san+francisco

All the best,
    GJ

Thanks gjnl. This is a treasure trove. Much appreciated.

LOTS of information on accessible travel in San Francisco on wheelchairtraveling.com. Hotel reviews, trail reviews, public transportation reviews, you name it. It's ALL there. Enjoy: Wheelchair Travel in San Francisco

https://www.facebook.com/EffortlessCity their page isn't live now...but they have done some great work.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

We had a really good trip. Great weather, great coffee, beer and bakeries. Wheelchair signs were visible in restaurant windows so no problems with access there either. The DeYoung Museum was beautiful and and reached by an uneventful, accessible city bus on Saturday. We were told by the big taxi companies ( Yellow, DeSoto and Luxor ) that only the taxi stand at the airport could call us a ramp-cab on arrival. It was only a 10 minute wait.
    Thanks to everyone for their advice.