Thread: Survey on Experiences with Equipment to prevent Pressure Sores

Survey on Experiences with Equipment to prevent Pressure Sores

Hi everyone,
    I am an undergrad at Carnegie Mellon University and I am in a rehabilitation engineering design course this semester. In this class we are brainstorming, designing and building a prototype of a medical device that will improve the quality of life of people who have a serious injury or impairment. My group is focusing on people with spinal cord injuries specifically with their prevention of pressure ulcers/sores.
    We are looking for user input from people who live everyday with the issue of preventing pressure sores. We want to get feedback from users on their methods of prevention, such as specific things you do and what is good or bad about these techniques. We also want to know of any products you may have used to help prevent ulcers and what was good/bad about those products. This can be anything about the product. We also would like to know what the user wants from a product, such as "it doesn't affect my posture while sitting" or "hinder my movement". We also would be interested in hearing of any of your ideas for something that may help in pressure sore prevention.
    The reason I am posting on this group is to get your feedback because our process is a user-centered process where what you the users want is the most important. Because if a product is designed that the user can't use or doesn't want to use then what use is designing it.
    We'd appreciate any feedback you can give us. And maybe if our prototype is successful and beneficial it could move beyond a prototype stage.

Thank you so much for anything you tell us,

Frequent weight shifts and sitting on a roho cushion.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

The correct term is pressure ulcer; not pressure "sore".

I assume you are talking about techniques and equipment, not dressings or lotions, etc. It is unclear from the question you have posted. Are you looking at all types of surfaces (beds, wheelchairs, shower/commode seats, etc.)??? Moved to our Surveys forum as this is the only place we allow this type of post.

(KLD)

Sorry if there was confusion and I didn't see this category when I was looking through them to post. We are looking primarily at wheelchair use though if it is a bigger problem in other areas we can change it. Right now we are identifying the problem so if wheelchairs aren't the biggest problem area that is something we want to know. That is why we are asking the user. Though we are looking at the prevention of ulcers not treatment after someone already has them.

I use supracor cushions with extra padding and do different kinds of weight shifts. When I'm feeling energetic I lift myself up. Otherwise I just go side to side. Sometimes I am too tired even for that and don't do weight shifts, sometimes there is redness. I also am just not up that much, but this is not something I would recommend to others as it interferes with life. But I rarely am up for more than 4 hours at a time and almost never more than 6 hours (usually just a few hours at a time). I use an inspection mirror to check for redness and pressure sores. The main problem with these weight shift techniques is that they don't work all that well and they get tiring and distracting to do. And of course lying down, which is the best prevention, is disruptive to other activities.

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    I haven't had any problem with pressure sores, so far. One of the things I do is to get out of my wheelchair, periodically, and transfer to a recliner. I lean it way back to put my weight on my back instead of my butt.

I do have a problem when on the toilet. With digital stimulation, I do a lot of leaning left and my weight is on one small spot on my butt-cheek. My skin has ripped. I have tried a padded seat and could feel the screws beneath the padding. I use a hard plastic seat now and don't have the problem too often. When my skin rips, I wear a big square bandage until it heals.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete