Thread: Best foley cath stabilization devices?

Best foley cath stabilization devices?

What are the best working/longest lasting stabilization devices in your opinion, and also anyone know what/where would be the cheapest ones as well?

How well does the skin barrier help against adhesive sensitivities? How helpful is it for use under tape?

Right now I'm using micropore tape to secure my SPC close to the site so it doesn't pull. When I can I'll get a leg strap for further stability when using a bag. Starting next week I'll be using a valve during the day instead of a bag. I'm trying to determine the best products to stabilize it. Looking at the stabilization devices I'm concerned about my adhesive sensitivities, but am hoping a skin barrier would help with that as well as the way the adhesive is dissolved with alcohol. Removing adhesives is the worst part for me, it can be very painful under tape from my skin starting to react, and then the act of removing it makes things 10x worse. So I'm wondering if a foley stabilization device would be a better option, as well as trying a skin barrier under my micropore (paper) tape. The tape alone is really not working, for example when I changed the dressing last night I put steroid ointment where the tape had been, and put fresh tape in a completely different area. It already hurts worse under the tape than the site around the tube!

Any clue if medicaid ever covers the foley stabilization devices, and skin barrier stuff? I was given scripts for gauze and more micropore tape, but don't know where to fill them. The company that I'm getting bags through said they don't do those types of items since they're considered wound care. So no clue where to use the scripts at, and if there would be any medicaid copay. The hospital gave me a ton of gauze though and 2 rolls of micropore, plus I had one roll of it at home anyway so I'm good with those for a while. Really need a better solution, I'm not looking forward to removing the tape tonight. I'll be soaking it with water before removing to help.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

The place I get my SP supplies from found a larger size "leg strap" that was for barriatric or around you waist use. The only time I've used it is when I first went swimming and clamped the tube off without a bag. Holds it secure around your tummy nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    What are the best working/longest lasting stabilization devices in your opinion, and also anyone know what/where would be the cheapest ones as well?

How well does the skin barrier help against adhesive sensitivities? How helpful is it for use under tape?

Right now I'm using micropore tape to secure my SPC close to the site so it doesn't pull. When I can I'll get a leg strap for further stability when using a bag. Starting next week I'll be using a valve during the day instead of a bag. I'm trying to determine the best products to stabilize it. Looking at the stabilization devices I'm concerned about my adhesive sensitivities, but am hoping a skin barrier would help with that as well as the way the adhesive is dissolved with alcohol. Removing adhesives is the worst part for me, it can be very painful under tape from my skin starting to react, and then the act of removing it makes things 10x worse. So I'm wondering if a foley stabilization device would be a better option, as well as trying a skin barrier under my micropore (paper) tape. The tape alone is really not working, for example when I changed the dressing last night I put steroid ointment where the tape had been, and put fresh tape in a completely different area. It already hurts worse under the tape than the site around the tube!

Any clue if medicaid ever covers the foley stabilization devices, and skin barrier stuff? I was given scripts for gauze and more micropore tape, but don't know where to fill them. The company that I'm getting bags through said they don't do those types of items since they're considered wound care. So no clue where to use the scripts at, and if there would be any medicaid copay. The hospital gave me a ton of gauze though and 2 rolls of micropore, plus I had one roll of it at home anyway so I'm good with those for a while. Really need a better solution, I'm not looking forward to removing the tape tonight. I'll be soaking it with water before removing to help.
    I have similar problems with adhesive allergies/sensitivities. I cannot use the Bard Stalock device (I wouldn't have any skin left). I understand that even the most gentle (Micropore) tape is a problem, skin barriers don't help and adhesive removers,,,I might as well use sandpaper.

I wear a form fitting under garment that goes down to my knees (in winter, a longer garment). I stabilize the catheter tube to the under garment.

All the best,
    GJ

So you haven't had luck with the skin barriers helping? crap, I was really hoping that would work. I've got steroid ointment from my dermatologist at least, and I change the location of the tape daily and liberally apply ointment over the red skin behind to avoid blistering.

With the dressing I don't tape it to my skin at all, just tape it to itself around the tube and to the tube to stabilize as best as I can, then my underwear helps. But I've still had a bag attached at all times, and I'll need more stabilization when its just the tube going back and forth across my abdomen.

sledgrl, thats interesting. Do you need it very snug? Or can it be rather loose and still apply enough support? It it just a leg bag type leg strap or the leg straps with the foley securement part? I can't tolerate pressure on my abdomen from some GI issues. Every back brace I've been given failed for that reason, and with seatbelts I have to make the lap belt portion loose so its not pressing on my abdomen.

Technically after today I'm supposed to be able to start using a valve, but I don't have any yet. Having issues there getting them. I did find a blog where someone removed the valve from the bottom of hollister leg bags and used that, so I requested some samples from hollister (also tried contacting bard to see if I could get a sample of the flip flo valve) and called the company I get my supplies from to make sure I was getting bags with a valve at the bottom. They had sent me out ones with the cap, which was the same as the dispoz-a-bag from bard that the hospital sent me home wearing. And I have a hell of a time getting the cap off and make a mess. I'm currently wearing one sample leg bag from hollister, hopefully I get a couple more because I requested a sample of a bunch of different types of leg bags. Anyway, so the only option my current supplier carried was the 32 oz hollister bags! For some reason they can get that, but not the identical model in 18 oz! She said they only have certain items on their contract with the company. The 18 oz I'm wearing right now is awfully large for my small frame, so I'll probably end up using them for the valves alone, and contacting the other supplies to check for either bard or hollister medium size bags with a flip valve at the bottom. One of the problems is I'm now labeled latex allergic, after the burning and pain when I was in the hospital and they gave me red rubber catheters to use.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I been using a foley for at about 17 years. I used to use 1/2" wide strips of duct tape but over the last year switched to plain white masking tape. Doesn't leave glue on my thigh so no need to clean it off. I keep my leg bag on my right leg during the day and tape it to my left thigh at night. I use a silver coated silicone catheter changed out weekly and 32 ounce disposable leg bag. I use them for a week and then toss them. I rinse the bag with water at night and run a little alcohol in them to disinfect them. No UTI in 3 or 4 years. Maybe longer. I can't really remember the last one. My night bag is a 2000cc and we treat it the same way with water and alcohol. It gets tossed once a month.
    Build a man a fire and you heat him for a day.
    Set hime on fire and you heat him for life.

Holy cow, I can't imagine using duct tape!!

I'm still figuring out mine. Since its not fully healed, if the tube isn't stabilized enough (this is also probably because my connective tissue disorder) it really "stretches" the wound edges out where it leans against. But using the tape to stabilize the dressing and catheter results in inflammed red irritated skin. Then I apply steroid ointment, and don't tape anything to my skin.... And then the wound edges start getting stretched... And I go around in circles lol.

For the rest of the tube its actually been working out pretty well without anything, but then again thats probably part of the reason why not stabilizing right around the site is such a problem, because then nothing is really being stabilized at all. But when I don't tape the dressing to my skin, I still tape the catheter to the dressing and my underwear and pants helps hold it steady. Then I just bend the catheter and loop it to one direction and in the opposite direction is the end with the valve, which I slide these little fleece pockets over that I made. That way the hard plastic doesn't dig into my skin, and I stabilize the pocket and valve end right in my waist band.

I wonder if once its fully healed I might be able to get away without any stabilization at all. During showers I do use paper tape to tape the catheter about halfway down its length to my hip bone, so theres no pulling at the site. then just remove the tape after the shower and put the fresh dressing on.

Banned
    My wife gets huge blisters from any adhesive stabilization device for her catheter, so we came up with using straps made to hold a leg bag. These are basically stretchable cloth straps with velcro at each end. They come in various sizes, and we tend to use 2 of them together to fit around her thigh. Since using these, we haven't had any problems with blisters, or needing to replace them, and they weren't expensive.

We also use wristbands (shades of Flashdance, for those old enough) around the velcro points to protect the skin.

If you do a google search on "catheter bag leg strap" you'll find endless pictures and pointers to them.

Good luck.

(Duct tape? Good grief, I'm turning in my man card for sure... no way I'm worth of that level of macho!)

I did duct tape strips for at least for about 15 years. No problems. Regular masking tape works too. Get the narrow stuff. It doesn't leave as much glue on my leg. I'm pretty much strictly masking tape now.
    Build a man a fire and you heat him for a day.
    Set hime on fire and you heat him for life.