Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Icon Wheelchairs - wider front wing - feedback request

Blog Entries
    Awesome! Hope it works out! Look forward to seeing an image!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Jeff,
    Do you have any update on this wider front wing? Last time, I heard about high cost of making a sample. Did you make any decision and/or update since then? Any update will be appreciated.

Yeah - the samples were going to cost us over $1,000 because they had to make tooling for each size (both bend tooling and welding/straightening jigs).

We decided to go ahead and do a run of the largest size, so they'll be 3" wider.

If we see a demand for an intermediary size, we'll go ahead and do that.

They've been ordered, I think it should be 8-10 weeks before we get them in, but they're being made currently.

So there's now 3 sizes of wings available? I think the regular one will work for me, and the newest wider one I believe is too wide. The demo I had was the old style with the different bend getting in the way, so I think without that bend I'm good.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Thanks Jeff for the update.
    So, what you ordered is 15.5" outer size, which is 14.5" inner size. It seems a little too wider. I believe many people use 16" or 17" width of a seat/cushion. When we attach front wheels to the frame, the total width between two front wheels could be a little less than the width between two real wheels. Nevertheless, it is your decision.

Regardless of the size, I would like to have wider one. If you let me have a wider set as you offered me on another thread, that will be great.
    Last edited by JK; 11-06-2014 at 06:08 PM.

JK - there will be two sizes now, standard (10.5" inside) and wide (14.5" inside) - that makes it 15.5 center to center, and 16.5 outside to outside (1" tubes).

We'll provide one to you - we mocked one up, and it seems ok in terms of size - I was worried that it was going to be huge, but it seems ok - like I said, we'll react to demand if we see it for an intermediary size.

The distance between the front wheels is adjustable, and I usually try to line the front wheel track with the rear wheel track, which I've found makes the chair track most efficiently.

So are you discontinuing the narrow/pediatric wing?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.