Thread: Another disability sign

Blog Entries

Another disability sign

Sorry if this offends anyone but it was too funny not to post.Name:  disability parking sign  9.26.14.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  90.4 KB

Love that sign, but what city/council allowed that? (I might propose it to our local council!)
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

It's not funny, it is mean. Fat people know they are fat and they are made fun of by so many. They live with it everyday. One of my best friends is fat and has been his whole life. He still remembers when he was 10, punching a kid at school in the face after he called him fat. My friend is 66 years old now and still is happy about doing that. He says the kid never called him fat again. To add - that is the only time in his life he has ever hit anyone. Maybe that gives you an idea how hurtful it was. I am hurt you find this sign funny. Replace the words and see how it might make you feel.

It might be mean but nobody is restricting fat people from taking charge of their lives and losing some weight where disabled people don't have a choice to stop being disabled. Being fat is not a disability it is a choice people make.

Not all fat people can be made less fat by "taking charge of their lives and losing some weight". People should not be judged about their disabilities that others know nothing about. Making an overall insult to all fat people is not acceptable. Probably there are people who have SCI that could have made better choices and not be SCI, does that mean they should be insulted too?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Why not? Why cant they be made less fat by losing fat? Im not judging anyone but people should take responsibilities of their actions. Just because this is a sensitive topic to discuss with someone doesn't mean you shouldn't talk about it. Yeah I bet some SCI people could make some better decisions but you don't become fat in a split second.

Blog Entries
    Not very funny, but many of us have watched folks who took van spaces and their only handicap seems to be that they are fat and too lazy to walk to the store or wherever. I have a work associate who is so fat that he looks like a beachball, but he rides a bicycle to work every day, and rarely takes the elevator, so IMHO fat people are not all lazy. This would be more appropriate if it singled out lazy people. Everything else fits...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Wide people in wide, Ford F-450 Super Duty pickups who drive with the blue tag obstructing their vision and park in the van accessible spots so they have enough room. Funny? No. Daily life in the third coast? Yep.

Blog Entries
    I can see how it comes across as unkind and I hadn't seen it that way. I definitely think lazy would be more appropriate.