Thread: Max dose of gabapentin/neurontin?

Max dose of gabapentin/neurontin?

Hi all,

I have been dealing with some intense nerve pain in my back and legs for the last year. I am currently taking 3600 mg/day of gabapentin (900 mg every six hours) but not feeling much effect. My primary care doctor says it is her understanding that this is a max dosage but I seem to recall taking more than this (up to 3600 every six hours) during the first two years after my injury. Am I mis-remembering or can I be prescribed more than 3600 mg/day of gabapentin? What is a max dosage?

FYI, I also take 50 mg of Tramadol, 10 mg of baclofen, and ibuprofen for inflammation 4x/day.

Thanks!

Max dose of gabapentin is 3600mg/day

I was told 3600 mg a day too when I tried it. Didn't help me at all but with nerve pain everyone is different.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

You're at the maximum dosage but trust me, the gabapentin is working. I didn't think mine was working until I weaned myself off of it to try Lyrica. It was miserable and I could barely move. Maybe Lyrica can do more for you. See if your doctor can get you to a pain Dr. They usually have more knowledge on this kind of pain
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Rybread do you have a pain doctor in the Phoenix area you would recommend?

Yes 3600 mg/ day is the max dose for gabapentin
    you may talk to your provider about switching to lyrica (after tapering off gabapentin)
    it is similar to gabapentin but focuses on different pain receptors

pbr

Quote Originally Posted by PBing View Post
    Rybread do you have a pain doctor in the Phoenix area you would recommend?
    Yes I do. Dr. Stearns. She's located around Tatum and Shea Boulevard. She's been handling my baclofen pump for the past 9 years and all my pain needs since the same time. She's great. She even takes Mercy Care Advantage insurance which is my Medicare provider. I'll p.m. you the phone number
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Thanks, all. I will inquire about lyrica.

3600 is the max dose for Gabapentin. If not working most will switch to Lyrica-pregabalin. Also Cymbalta once a day might help- you can take in addition to Gabapentin but typically not with Lyrica. Need to try this before pain pump which may not help neuropathic pain.
    CWO