Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: New Over-the-Counter Wound Care Product Uses Microcyn Technology

Thanks for printing out the claims that Oculus has made. So from what you posted "The Microcyn-based family of products are generated through a unique, patented electrochemical treatment of dilute saltwater."

That is different from saline water how?

All I said was that Occulus has done any sort of clinical trail of flushing a nerogenic bladder because there probably isn't a significant difference in the benefits of flushing w/ microcyn as opposed to simple sterilized saline solution.

Prove me wrong w/ a clinical trial, cite me studies not done or sponsored by Oculus (I haven't been able to find any study relating to what is in essence PH neutral bleach water. If it was me and flushing my bladder w/ microcyn I would give sterilized saline solution for a month an see if there was any difference in results. If mycrocyn is better switch back but you are not going to harm your body and might heal your wallet.

Also please disclose what relationship you have with the company that owns and markets Microcyn. It is disingenous to promote very expensive salt water to people without being honest about your relationship to the company.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    HydroCleanse and MicrocynAH are the basis of all Oculus Innovative Sciences products that use patented Microcyn Technology which is Hypochlorus Acid

Hypochlorus Acid (HOCl) = 0.011%
    Free Active Chlorine (FAC) = 120 parts per million

"Saline water" is a solution of sodium chloride (NaCl, table salt) in water. It is the electrochemical treatment of dilute salt water that is transformational resulting in a solution that is "laboratory-proven to inactivate bacteria, fungus and spores in-solution, Microcyn Technology delivers a six-log reduction* of MRSA, VRE, Pseudomonas, Acinetobacter and many other pathogens in just 30 seconds as labeled and cleared by the FDA. The patented Microcyn Solution can be easily and harmlessly disposed of without the added cost of special handling. The Microcyn Technology has treated over two million patients worldwide and has been used in 30 clinical studies, all without a report of a single serious adverse effect."

*Log reduction" is a mathematical term (as is "log increase") used to show the relative number of live microbes eliminated from a surface by disinfecting or cleaning.
    For example, a "5-log reduction" means lowering the number of microorganisms by 100,000-fold, that is, if a surface has 100,000 pathogenic microbes on it, a 5-log reduction would reduce the number of microorganisms to one.

Log Reductions

• 1 log reduction means the number of germs is 10 times smaller
    • 2 log reduction means the number of germs is 100 times smaller
    • 3 log reduction means the number of germs is 1000 times smaller
    • 4 log reduction means the number of germs is 10,000 times smaller
    • 5 log reduction means the number of germs is 100,000 times smaller
    • 6 log reduction means the number of germs is 1,000,000 times smaller
    • 7 log reduction means the number of germs is 10,000,000 times smaller

Microcyn? Technology

http://oculusis.com/microcyn-technology/

The Microcyn-based family of products are generated through a unique, patented electrochemical treatment of dilute saltwater. A pH neutral solution of hypochlorous acid, and its sodium salt, hypochlorite, is generated. The hypochlorous acid in Microcyn, similar to the natural hypochlorous acid produced by the human body, preserves the Microcyn solution.

The unique solution chemistry imparted through the patented Microcyn manufacturing system provides superior product stability. Standard electrochemical processes used in the manufacture of other hypochlorous acid-containing products, cannot come close to matching this stability.
    Microcyn solution aids in the mechanical removal of debris and foreign materials from the application site. Dirt debris and foreign material are mechanically removed by the action of the wound cleanser moving across the wound bed or application site with or without the assistance of a suitable wound dressing.
    At 95% water, Microcyn Skin and Wound Gel creates a moist wound environment that rehydrates necrotic tissue and promotes autolysis. These processes assist with the natural debridement process, thus enhancing the healing process.
    There are no known drug/treatment interactions or contraindications with Microcyn-based products. Testing has demonstrated the gel and liquid products to be non-irritating, non-sensitizing and non-toxic. Through additional testing, Microcyn-based liquid products have been found to have no oral toxicity, cause no ocular irritation and are non-genotoxic.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Thanks for printing out the claims that Oculus has made. So from what you posted "The Microcyn-based family of products are generated through a unique, patented electrochemical treatment of dilute saltwater."

All I said was that Occulus has (maybe you meant hasn't?) done any sort of clinical trail of flushing a nerogenic (neurogenic?) bladder because there probably isn't a significant difference in the benefits of flushing w/ microcyn as opposed to simple sterilized saline solution.

Prove me wrong w/ a clinical trial, cite me studies not done or sponsored by Oculus (I haven't been able to find any study relating to what is in essence PH neutral bleach water. If it was me and flushing my bladder w/ microcyn I would give sterilized saline solution for a month an see if there was any difference in results. If mycrocyn is better switch back but you are not going to harm your body and might heal your wallet.

Also please disclose what relationship you have with the company that owns and markets Microcyn. It is disingenous (disingenuous?) to promote very expensive salt water to people without being honest about your relationship to the company.
    I posted "disclosure" when recently asked questions by a member. Please scroll back a few posts to #213.

I am not a scientist, so I won't enter into a layman's debate about how electrolyzed/super oxidized water is different from normal saline. For those interested in learning more, you can listen to these, other videos and articles and make up you own mind.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDjZpFQ75ew
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJGSj05rW_4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_D2yKZBgbE

I have nothing to prove to anyone about my use of and experience with Microcyn based products. I'm not promoting Microcyn products (no more than "Leila" in her thread, posted 6 years ago at http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...light=microcyn). I have shared my anecdotal experiences, as have others with members of this community who are struggling with urinary tract infections. Six years ago, after reading "Leila's" experience and responses of others, I made the decision to try this technology myself. It has worked for me. I am merely telling my story and suggesting others take a look and decide what they want to do. I did my research, contacted members of management at Oculus Innovative Sciences to discuss their product, and spoke with physicians before I decided to use this product, others should too.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 05-20-2016 at 02:36 PM.

The addition of hypochlorous acid. Even in very dilute quantities the kill rate for most common pathogens is still 99.99% (that's been verified by lots of non-Oculus sources). It's not diluted bleach. Would you pour diluted bleach into a pressure sore? Geez, I literally inhale the stuff twice a day. I went from pretty much imminent death from chronic respiratory infections and antibiotic resistance to 5 years with one infection when I slacked off and which was gone ten days later when I doubled up the nebulizations. Anecdotal? You bet, but I have the lab work of the before and after. I prefer to think of it as my own little clinical trial of one. My understanding is that the company is very keen to do wider trials and that they're working on it. I don't really get the hostility.

The Hypocloric Acid takes the bleach in microcyn (NaOCl) and reduced the PH of the solution till it is neutral (around 7). I am not hostile, I am a skeptic. I also have a PhD in physics, have taken numerous chemistry courses and even though I have done a good amount of googling I have yet to find one published paper on the efficacy of microcyn that where the primary authors weren't associated with Occulus.

The reason I have posted the last few posts is that all I see are unsubstantiated claims for an unproven use of a very expensive product directed at a group of people who for a large part do not have a lot of disposable income. To be clear I have not commented on vetricyn/microcyn on wound care. I am glad it works for you, just this thread really lacks any sort of objectivity, it reads like an advertisement for Occulus. I felt it should be more two sided.

Covered wagon, medicine show
    Take you to a place where the healing flows, oh-ho
    Weak in spirit, we got the juice
    Won't save your soul, it'll shine your shoes, oh
    Treated king to kangaroo
    Santa Fe to Timbuktu, oh-ho
    Don't be fooled by imitation
    This is the stuff that cured a nation
    We took the tube and the high plains, too
    Never stopped long, just passing through
    A drop of the laughter of the maids of France
    Makes a hopeless cripple dance, oh
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    The addition of hypochlorous acid. Even in very dilute quantities the kill rate for most common pathogens is still 99.99% (that's been verified by lots of non-Oculus sources). It's not diluted bleach. Would you pour diluted bleach into a pressure sore? Geez, I literally inhale the stuff twice a day. I went from pretty much imminent death from chronic respiratory infections and antibiotic resistance to 5 years with one infection when I slacked off and which was gone ten days later when I doubled up the nebulizations. Anecdotal? You bet, but I have the lab work of the before and after. I prefer to think of it as my own little clinical trial of one. My understanding is that the company is very keen to do wider trials and that they're working on it. I don't really get the hostility.

Skepticism is good. If it was company reps pushing these claims it would be a very different matter, but it's quite the opposite, where people with sci found the product and are freely sharing their own stories. At $14 for a 16 oz bottle wholesale it's not that expensive, especially considering the preventative savings. Certainly worth a try for anyone in the very rotten position of chronic infection and the antibiotic merry-go-round.

Off to amazon I go to see if they have any of that bottled French maid laughter. That sounds awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    Skepticism is good. If it was company reps pushing these claims it would be a very different matter, but it's quite the opposite, where people with sci found the product and are freely sharing their own stories. At $14 for a 16 oz bottle wholesale it's not that expensive, especially considering the preventative savings. Certainly worth a try for anyone in the very rotten position of chronic infection and the antibiotic merry-go-round.

Off to amazon I go to see if they have any of that bottled French maid laughter. That sounds awesome!
    Its quite the stuff, if you have straight trousers it will give you flares!

Just a of note clarification on the price of the offer Oculus Innovative Sciences has made available to Care Cure Community, Apparelyzed, and Inspired Spinal Cord Injury Forum that I mentioned in response to a question on Post #227 in this thread...

The offer, when you call the Oculus Innovative Sciences store is buy three bottles of HydroCleanse and get one free. Free shipping on orders over $75.00, no tax. That brings you total cost per bottle to $18.75.

That said, you can search around the internet, and find online pet supply stores who sell MicrocynAH for something in the ball park of $14-$15 per bottle. Some offer free shipping based on the dollar amount of the purchase.

I've indicated before that I have been advised that HydroCleanse and MicrocynAH are the same formulation. It is up to each individual to decide which one they want to purchase. Some folks just feel better about using the product that indicates it is for human use as opposed to the product that indicates it is for animal use. It is a personal choice.

All the best,
    GJ

Blog Entries
    Its quite the stuff, if you have straight trousers it will give you flares!
    But...but...people on the INTERNET said it works!!!!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Occulus has NEVER made any claims that it's products can cure or prevent uti's,CC members are using it off label.The original proponent of VVF wasn't Leila,gjnl or Occulus,it was a young woman who was suffering life threatening chronic uti's that were becoming more and more resistant,she claimed VVF saved her life,since then the topic grew a life of it's own.You don't need a PHD.to tell the difference between saline and VVF,just read the label.The theory is simple use VVF's germ killing properties to reduce bacteria in the bladder,not exactly rocket science.You're offering a solution looking for a problem.We all know the cost of these products and their efficacy,if anyone feels it's too expensive or ineffective they just stop using it.Problem solved! $100 invested for a few month trial of VVF is a small price to pay if it actually prevents uti's or keeps you off antibiotics.

It works for us. Period. We are so thankful for it. Can't imagine how it would be without it.